Using in-wall phono sockets


Standard Member
Hi All

I have just bought a flat and all over it, in every room, are in-wall phono sockets with two white and two red plugs in them.

I was wondering if anyone knew how I use them? Im guessing I connect a Hi Fi to one (how do I identify the one?) and then speakers to all the others and it will play throughout the house...?




Distinguished Member
HI an welcome its likely that the plates are for a multiroom system local inputs have a look in the cupboards etc for a grey/ white box or for blank covers near light switches. Depending on what was wired to and from where will depend on what you can do with the system. Is it a brandnew flat? The previous owners or developer would be the best first point of call

Marky P

It's unlikely they would've used phono sockets for speaker connections, so they are more likely to be low level outputs designed to be connected to an amplifier.


Active Member
some of the speaker wall palts can look a lot like phono sockets

Alex, can you post a picture, and we should be able to help further

Thanks, Matthew

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom