Using iMac as a display

ajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

I thought (!) I knew a bit about Apple but I am very new to the whole gaming thing so apologies in advance.

My son has become very keen on getting an Xbox X. I'd rather he used it in his bedroom rather than in another room but he doesn't have a TV in his bedroom. However, he does have an iMac (one of the newer 24inch M1 variety). The question is whether he can somehow use the iMac as a screen for the Xbox? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

The simple answer is no you can't use the Macs display for other devices.

I personally use my PS4 via remote play on my iMac but a quick Google suggests there isn't a Mac version of Microsoft's remote play client.

While it is something that some all in ones allow, Apple's range hasn't had this feature for the best part of a decade now.

Thanks both for your answers. This is a shame and I am sure there must be some way around it but I think I will admit defeat for now.

On the other side of all this, if my son has a 32inch TV which he puts alongside the iMac then can he use the TV as an additional (extending) screen for his iMac when he is not using it for his Xbox? This would mean HDMI1 is the Xbox and HDMI2 is the iMac (presumably needing some sort of cable converting from the iMac's output to HDMI?).

Yes it would certainly work. Results of using a TV as a second display can very massively though. I use a 1080P TV as a second display for my iMac, mainly for media playback, for desktop use it's usable but fuzzy and low resolution compared to a 5K iMac (unsurprisingly)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom