Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

using ICE ideas in home cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adi, Mar 15, 2003.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look through modified car mags and all the music installs consist of multiple speaker arrays (woofers, mids and tweeters), driven by separate amps, specifically positioned to give the best sound projection in the available space all backed up by huge ported subs housed in enclosures tailored to cone size and amount of air needing to be moved.

given enough money - would it be feasable to do this in a home cinema setup - individual drive units in separate enclosures positioned exactly where necessary to give the best sound in a specific location

if so - how the hell would you go about sending the necessary signals to the relevant areas

or have i just drunk too much caffreys ???

adi

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Seems perfectly reasonable.

I currently working on a sub with Taz that uses a JL 10W3 D4 driver designed for use in small enclosures in cars It's more than capable of shifting air in the home scenario though.

Bear in mind that in car speakers are designed with in-car acoustics in mind though, you may need to do some tweaking (usually available on in-car systems) to tailor the sound to suit your home scenario.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504

Seems feasable to me. I had just enough money to drink this much lager in a home cinema room....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

4. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would you "tweak" it to suit ???

imagine a typical HC speaker consists of a woofer, a mid and a tweeter.
    In a 5.1 setup you would potentially have 15 separate drivers (plus sub(s))

ideally, each element of each speaker would need to be positioned separatley to ensure accurate sound placement - how would you actually drive them ???...... a typical 5.1 receiver with "tri-wiring" from each channel, or a separate power amp for each driver driven by a pre-amp
    (imagine how complex that would need to be)

adi

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can buy active speakers which are close to what you are looking for (active x-over and seperate amps for the bass & mid/highs).

6. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats only partly what i'm getting at........in ICE applicatons, each driver is positioned specifically where it is needed, so the entire spave is filled with sound where needed - te active speakers you mention would overcome the possible problems with powering the system, but not the positioning.

instead of 1 box with 3 cones in the front - you'd need 3 separate boxes - 1 containing the tweeter, 1 containing the mid and 1 containing the woofer

the only comparable thing ive seen is the high end installations which heve in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, but even this would seem to be a compromise

are any of the installation guys looking at this - if so - what do you think ???

adi

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excuse my impudence..... but every car system I have ever heard makes me want to keep my hifi and cinema system as far to the other end of the scale as possible! So what am i missing here!?

ad