Using HP Pavilion Laptop with new TV

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi
I have already posted this on the TV Forums but have not had any other suggestions other than "works OK on mine" type responses. The problem with a new Sony XH9505 is as follows:-
If I connect our laptop PC to the new TV by HDMI then the image from the laptop displays for about 1 second and then the screen goes blank. After about 5-10 seconds the image re-appears for about 1 second again and the cycle repeats. In the one second as far as can be seen the image is perfect. I have tried both HDMI 1 and 4 and tried 3 different HDMI cables. Have tested the HDMI ports by connecting a Firestick to each port which works just fine.
I have still got my previous Panasonic TV and connecting Laptop to HDMI on this still works fine.
Laptop is Hewlett Packard Pavilion 2017 Windows 10 latest update.
My question is that HDMI in old TV was 1.4 and on new TV is 2.0 Also new TV is 4K UHD whereas old TV was of course 2K HD. Should I be altering settings in laptop if so what and where?
TIA

DavidG1

I would be looking to alter settings on the new TV not the laptop. Initially see if there is a firmware upgrade on the sony website and then post to a dedicated sony TV forum or contact sony TV support details of which will be in the documentation that came with the TV

next010

Distinguished Member
For HDMI input laptop is connected to in Sony XH9505 settings turn off enhanced signal which is the toggle for 4K HDR support this can sometimes improve compatibility with older devices.

Next go into your GPU driver control panel and in display selection pick the TV and look around for video output settings
Intel = enable YUV output
Nvidia = under resolution deselect use colour default, select YCC 420 or 444 (try 420 first)
AMD = select YUV 420 output and enable HDMI compatibility link.

See if that works.

Workaround, get Airparrot and install on laptop, that will stream the desktop to any chromecast receiver which your TV is.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I would be looking to alter settings on the new TV not the laptop. Initially see if there is a firmware upgrade on the sony website and then post to a dedicated sony TV forum or contact sony TV support details of which will be in the documentation that came with the TV
Thanks but have now done factory reset, updates etc. Sony helpline do not seem to understand problem. As said other users in Sony forums do not have the problem.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
For HDMI input laptop is connected to in Sony XH9505 settings turn off enhanced signal which is the toggle for 4K HDR support this can sometimes improve compatibility with older devices.

Next go into your GPU driver control panel and in display selection pick the TV and look around for video output settings
Intel = enable YUV output
Nvidia = under resolution deselect use colour default, select YCC 420 or 444 (try 420 first)
AMD = select YUV 420 output and enable HDMI compatibility link.

See if that works.

Workaround, get Airparrot and install on laptop, that will stream the desktop to any chromecast receiver which your TV is.
Many thanks. I have already turned off enhanced mode for HDMI used on TV. I will try your GPU settings suggestions.
I have already cast to TV using Chromecast in Chrome browser but this is a bit of a pain to use as one seems to have to make several attempts to persuade it to cast the desktop rather than just the current Chrome tab.

next010

Distinguished Member
Many thanks. I have already turned off enhanced mode for HDMI used on TV. I will try your GPU settings suggestions.
I have already cast to TV using Chromecast in Chrome browser but this is a bit of a pain to use as one seems to have to make several attempts to persuade it to cast the desktop rather than just the current Chrome tab.

Try Airparrot its usually more reliable than using the chrome desktop cast function, it runs in the background and can treat a chromecast receiver as a second monitor so you can clone or extend.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom