Using HDMI switch with PS4 and Beam - No sound

Indigo04

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Sonos Beam and two One's and have these setup in surround sound with my Panasonic tx-50dx700b . These work great when watching TV or when using native apps, and also surprisingly it seems as if my TV does pass through 5.1 from the PS4 when playing games. However, when passing through this 5.1 there is a considerable audio lag which is very noticeable. This lag disappears if I plug the PS4 directly into the Beam.

To try and fix this problem I purchased a HDMI switch - Portta 4 Port HDMI Switch Auto 4x1 Audio Extraction: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I had understood that this would allow me to have the Beam and PS4 interact directly, whilst also having sound from the TV play through the Beam. On setting it up I have followed the instructions and currently have:

TV > HDMI output on the switch
Beam > Optical output on the switch (using beam HDMI to optical adapter)
PS4 - HDMI input

When doing this the TV still recognizes the PS4, however there is no sound from either of the TV or the PS4. Now I have my TV set to home theater and I have gone through all of the options on my PS4; PCM, Dolby DTS and Dolby Bitsream, but no sound.

Is anybody able to help with what I might be doing wrong? Perhaps I have purchased the completely wrong product as I'm very new to all of this.

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The labelling on the Input/Output diagram of the Switch you link to is wrong/misleading.

There is no mention of ARC support on the Switch so no way to get TV audio Into and then back out of the Switch.

When connecting the PS4 via the Switch ensure you limit the PS4 audio to 5.1 DD - if you want to use the Optical out of the Switch into the BEAM.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response.

It looks like that Switch just doesn't work for my purpose. I spoke to the product support and initially they said it would work but then admitted it won't. I have subsequently bought an Optical Switch and this fixes all my problems, although annoyingly I can't get rid of the "speakers off" message on my Panasonic, but I can live with that!

Try setting the TV audio to ‘external’ if it has that option.

One other ‘fix’ is to stick a jack into the TV headphone socket - that disables the TV speakers and usually removes the onscreen menu.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom