Using HDMI splitters.

joemc2001

Novice Member
I do research projects in which presenters bring their own laptop for presentations. I have a couple of hdmi splitters (1 in 2 out) so I can run one cable to a projector and the second to the back of the room where I have a Blackmagic ATEM to feed into a separate observation room. When I use my personal laptop (a gaming computer with a GTX card, no problem. But it is hit and miss with the presenters. I thought about getting an USB to HDMI cable for the 2nd output but if their card is not very good I don't think that will help? Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

bignickjnr

hate hdcp ... we have a 1 in 4 way blue stream splitter , utp out to outside screen fine .... utp to bluestream receiver behind screen in lounge fine ,,,, ute to front room screen via oppo avr no signal ...... put in another splitter after 1 in 4 out splitter avr works fine ....... its all a sh*tty mason handshake thing
bring back component

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
He didn't specify the field but even in the video industry I doubt presentations are HDCP protected.

'USB to HDMI cables' are essentially external graphics cards, other than the Type C ones which may be using DP Alt Mode. I'd imagine it's far too early to expect everyone to have a laptop with USB-C ports that have DP Alt Mode support.

So they would bypass internal GPU drivers but their own driver support can be hit and miss. Windows is fairly good, I think Mac OS requires them to be installed and a Chromebook or Android Tablet is much more difficult.

Using dedicated video outputs on the guest hardware is likely to be the most reliable solution at that end. I'd be looking elsewhere in the chain for the issue.

What's the most common issues you're seeing?

bignickjnr

He didn't specify the field but even in the video industry I doubt presentations are HDCP protected.

'USB to HDMI cables' are essentially external graphics cards, other than the Type C ones which may be using DP Alt Mode. I'd imagine it's far too early to expect everyone to have a laptop with USB-C ports that have DP Alt Mode support.

So they would bypass internal GPU drivers but their own driver support can be hit and miss. Windows is fairly good, I think Mac OS requires them to be installed and a Chromebook or Android Tablet is much more difficult.

Using dedicated video outputs on the guest hardware is likely to be the most reliable solution at that end. I'd be looking elsewhere in the chain for the issue.

What's the most common issues you're seeing?
thought hdcp was industry standard for what it Is meant to be to stop the recording of digital content (or the striping of hd to record off of ... the splitter should address edid per screen or display that returns its display capacity and should thefore re handshake and deploy what needed per display for thats its job ... but doesn't always permit hd compliancy ,

joemc2001

Novice Member
hate hdcp ... we have a 1 in 4 way blue stream splitter , utp out to outside screen fine .... utp to bluestream receiver behind screen in lounge fine ,,,, ute to front room screen via oppo avr no signal ...... put in another splitter after 1 in 4 out splitter avr works fine ....... its all a sh*tty mason handshake thing
bring back component
Well, ............ there have been a few times I have said to hell with it and hooked up the old component cables just to get an image. But not in a few years.

joemc2001

Novice Member
I should probably mention I go to different hotels around the country so I do not have a dedicated place from which to work. Like I said, if I set up my laptop (which is really a gaming computer) the signal is rock solid, and the signal is good on my 300 dollar HP I use for streaming. But I never know what type of computer the presenter will show up with that morning. Many times it is just a black screen going to the ATEM switcher. If I bypass the 2 way splitter and just go to the ATEM directly it sees it so I do not think it is a cable issue.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
ATEM switchers are notoriously fussy about the signal presented to them. You are not alone with this problem!

1 solution can actually be a 2nd splitter with a monitor attached to it, close to the switcher. I've no idea why this works, but it seems to in some circumstances.

Otherwise, try replacing the ATEM with something like the Roland streaming device. This seems to be more robust in terms of signal acceptance.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom