Question Using HDMI splitter: some doubts

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Sugus, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

Here is the thing: I have just replaced my old Xbox One Day One for the new Xbox One S so I can use it as both BD UHD player and gaming device.
    I also have a 4K HDR TV (LG OLED 65E6V) and, here comes the problem, a not so old AV Receiver with HDMI 1.4 (Pioneer SC LX56 K).

So, in order to get the best audio & video signal, as far as I can see, I have the following options:

1) I hook the Xbox to the AV receiver with a HDMI cable: this way I can get the best audio tnat my receiver can bring (DTS HA Master audio & Dolby TrueHD, given that the 1.4 HDMI version is not compatible neither with Dolby Atmos nor with DTS X). Trouble here would the video signal. According to the AV receiver manual, I can pass through the 4K signal but I would miss the HDR (again, because of the old 1.4 HDMI version).

2) I can connect the Xbox to the TV with a HDMI cable: this way I can get the best video signal possible (4K+HDR), but regarding the audio I would have very serious limitations: either if I use the integrated soud bar of the TV or if I connect the Xbox to the AV receiver via optical cable, the best audio I could get is far from the HD codecs supported by my receiver.

3) I could use a good HDMI splitter compatible with 4K HDR video and HD audio codecs like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01KXCO4VU/ref=nosim/?tag=fdvd-uk-21
    This way I can plug the Xbox to the splitter so I can get 2 HDMI outputs, one to connect with the TV (so I can have a 4K with HDR signal) and another one to the receiver (so I can get the best from it: DTS HA Master audio & Dolby TrueHD)... This seems to be the best option by far, but I have never used one of those HDMI splitters so I have 2 concerns:

a) Do these devices alter the image quality in any way? I spent a lot of money on my TV and I would love to get very best from it.

b) I assume that both HDMI outputs from the splitter carries both video and audio. If this is true, when I hook the Xbox to the TV and the AV receiver as per above stated, the sound will be reproduced from both the TV speakers and the home cinema speakers which would cause the whole thing sound horrible... am I saying something really stupid?

Please, I would really apreciate any idea and/or advice.

Thank you!!

PS: pls apologize my poor English.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    You will require an UHD 4K capable 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) - plus a device which can convert one of the Outputs to work with your non-UHD/HDR capable AVR.

Cost wise you are looking at £200-300 - or replace your AVR.

If you send HD audio to a TV it will either ignore it, buzz or decode just the Front LR speakers, the 'fix' being to turn the TV Volume control to Zero.

Joe

3. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe,

Thaks for your reply, but I am afraid I am missing some point regarding the need of the "device which can convert one of the outputs to work with the non-UHD/HDR capable receiver".

I mean, I understand that this device that you mention would be necessary if I wanted to use BOTH outputs of the splitter to connect to them TWO different displays devices (being 1 of them UHD/HDR capable and the other one non-UHD/HDR capable).

But this is not my case: I will be using only one of the outputs to hook my UHD/HDR capable TV and the other one will be connected to my non-UHD/HDR capable but only for audio purposes. I realize that the HDMI hooked to the receiver will actually carry both audio and video, but I am only interested in the audio string...

Just to clarify if I understand who this splitter works: both HDMI outputs will carry both audio and video strings to the devices I connect to (either 2 TVs or 1 TV and 1 AV receiver), am I right?

Well, let's say that I play a UHD BD in the Xbox One:

- Output#1 will carry the 4K HDR video (and also the audio) from the splitter to the TV. Regarding this output, I am ony interested in the video string so I will have to find out how to mute the audio one.

- Output#2 will carry also both 4K HDR video and audio to the AV receiver. In this case, I am only interested in the audio string so if the splitter is able to carry the sound to my receiver, this device should be able to decode it and just play it regardless what happens with the video string... am I right?

Please clarify this, because I have not used a splitter in my life.

Cheers!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    HDMI embeds the 'audio stream' within the Video stream - send a non-compatible video stream to the AVR and it won't know where to look or how to decode the audio stream.

A 'Splitter' - will simply deliver a non-compatible Output on ports A and B so you need to insert an additional device between Port A or B and the AVR which can 'down convert' the Video signal to something the AVR can understand.

Joe

5. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks you Joe for your explanations.

That's too bad. Actually, my AV receiver can "passthrough" 4K video but can do nothing at all with HDR signal so it seems that this other device (the downconverter one) is necessary...

If this is so, the splitter way is not an option anymore... 200-300£ is too much money for just a temporaly fix to my problem...

I think is time to save money for a new av receiver then. In the meantime, I will get the sound from the Xbox using an optical cable...

Thanks again Joe for your help.

Regards.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,500
  7. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,500
    Yes it HDR compatible

9. rockissponge

rockissponge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sugus, did you find a solution to your problem?

• I have a similar dilemma... a 4K HDR TV, but my AMP doesn't pass through HDR (super annoying).
    So I was thinking of getting a HDMI splitter thats supports HDR, and having one end go direct to the TV (HDR 4K, yay) and one end to the Surround System (DTS Master Audio etc, yay).

Would that work? Or might it create any synchronisation issues between sound and visual? I would love to hear from anyone who has overcome a similar issue - or has a splitter they could recommend (it's a nightmare trying to find one on Amazon, descriptions are really iffy and the prices are all over the place!)

Thanks!

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    You will have to consider something more 'advanced' than a straightforward Splitter - which simply 'mirror's' the Input to multiple Outputs as unless the AVR can 'ignore' the HDR data it will get confused by the input signal.

Which HDR capable Source device(s) are you looking to connect to the AVR and TV?

Joe

11. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Okay, so I had a similar problem to yours and bought this 4-1 splitter from Amazon for £12.99 delivered. Its unavailable now, but it works 100% with HDR and all audio formats. The only issue I have had with it is when using it with, ironically, an Xbox One S and a One For All programmable remote. The Xbox down command switches the hdmi box to output 3. Stop turns the output off. But I learnt to point the remote upwards when using those commands and rarely have any issues. If you can get hold of one, I highly recommend it.