Using HDMI splitter (NEET) from PC to monitor and projector: Fuzzy text on monitor

hander

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm outputting from a PC graphics card (R9 280X, fwiw), to
a NEET HDMI Splitter Neet® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port - Active: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
and then to:
an old AE900 Panasonic
an (almost as) old DELL 2405FPW monitor

I get a fuzzy, jittery screen on the monitor. The projector is fine.

I've checked the obvious - cables, the order of the outputs on the splitter but no result.
I feel sure this a simple problem (unless the splitter is no good)...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Here's some detail of the monitor text:

20170412_184420.jpg

Unlikely the Projector supports the optimal Resolution or Refresh rate which works best with the PC monitor - once the Source 'sees' the limited Resolution/Refresh the Projector supports that is the format it will likely Output.

Ideally your Projector supports the preferred Resolution/Refresh rate your PC monitor supports.

Joe

Sounds like its time for a new projector :)

Alternatively add a 'down converter' to one Output of the 1x2 DA - optimise the Source for the Monitor and then down convert the B Output to the Projector.

https://tmfsolutions.co.uk/product/linker/

Otherwise you would likely have to stick with only ever viewing on one device at a time.

Joe

Thanks all. In fact, the 2405fpw is one of three monitors on the set up. The others are both Dells too: 2001FP - 1600x1200 (DVI) and 2515h - 2560 x 1440 (Displayport).

Buying a new projector is possible but will need thinking about.

What other options out of this might I have? Do DVI splitters work?

A Distribution Amp (Splitter) of any type will only ever 'mirror' the Input to as many Outputs as the 'splitter' provides - which is fine if all Displays support that signal format, of course 'supporting' and doing a good job with a signal are not the same thing (as you have highlighted).

Ideally all Displays have the same 'native' pixel format - where that is not possible you set the Source to work with the 'best' Display(s), split that signal and where required 'down convert' one or more of the Outputs of the Splitter to suit the lesser quality Display(s).

Joe

Ideally all Displays have the same 'native' pixel format - where that is not possible you set the Source to work with the 'best' Display(s), split that signal and where required 'down convert' one or more of the Outputs of the Splitter to suit the lesser quality Display(s).

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Is there any way of me knowing in advance which monitors the AE900 will play nicely with?

And how do I set the output (from the PC) as you have described?

Most PC monitors have rubbish scalers in. You really should check what resolution and refresh rate you're outputting to all the monitors. You should be able to do this by looking at the desktop display properties - you might need to look at the advanced options to see / set the refresh rate.

It can be the case sometimes that for example, 50Hz is poorly dealt with but 60Hz works well.

In any case one or the other is going to be scaled if they're coming off the same output. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Which output do you care most about being able to read clearly and having a crisp pixel-perfect resolution? You won't be able to get this on both displays simultaneously so some compromise will be involved.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom