Using HDMI ARC on PHILIPS 37PFL7605

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by messenjah00, Dec 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. messenjah00

messenjah00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and as I have learnt quite a few things by reading some threads here I'd like to tell you about my experience with PHILIPS 37PFL7605 just in case this could help anyone.

I recently bought a bluray Home Theatre system (Samsung DT5100) and I wanted to get the most of it, that's to say, I wanted to be able to play every HD movie that I have on my computer (mkv files mostly) on my TV and hear actual 5.1 sound.

So, how to get this working?
    At the beginning I thought that I should use S/PDIF digital audio output from TV to DT5100: problem!! TV's S/PDIF is Coaxial and DT5100's is Optical. Possible solution? Buy a Coaxial-Optical converter, but I didn't know where to find it in my city (I live in south of Spain).

So, after reading a lot, I learnt that there is one HDMI port in the TV that supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), and DT5100 supports it too. As I only got one HDMI cable at that moment I thought of making use of TV's networking capabilities. I connected TV(HDMI ARC port)<-->Home Theater and the TV to my LAN and then run a Media Server software on the computer where all media files are (movies, music..). The TV was able to reach the media files BUT only a few MKV files opened. Among the ones that worked, some had AC3 audio 6-channels and the Home Theatre was actually receiving this real 5.1 passing through the TV (nice! this is what I wanted!). However, not all MKV files worked (any help on this is welcome!).

I rejected the previous option because I many MKV files did not open (and also because I did not know which one would work and which would not). Then I used two HDMI cables. First one connecting Computer<-->TV and Second one connecting TV(HDMI ARC port)<-->Home Theater. This way images stay on TV and digital audio is transmitted via HDMI ARC to my Home Theater system. Okay this is just using the TV as a monitor so the MKV files are opened and decoded by the computer. I could hear the audio also through the Home Theatre but audio was stereo until I found out that there were some Audio settings in my MKV file player (GOM Player) where you can choose to use S/PDIF output even if your computer doesn't have one, so raw digital audio will be sent over HDMI cable from computer to TV and then from TV to Home Theatre! I noticed that this worked well when audio was AC3 or AAC, but not for DTS. The only thing I could do for DTS is telling GOM Player to decode it and send stereo signal over HDMI and then use Prologic to simulate surround in the Home Theatre (the results are not bad I think).

So this is where I am right now! I'm having fun trying to get all this stuff working the way I want.. and also I'm learning. But that thing of some MKVs working fine and some others not working is getting me a little annoyed! Hope you guys can give me a clue! Also forgive my english mistakes please!:)

2. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    Few TVs will handle DTS audio atall. Licensing issues, you see... Can GOM player not transcode DTS to AC3? Believe I've seen the option in ffdshow-tryouts.
    I'm afraid that most of these embedded players have compatibility "issues", particularly it seems with .mkv. Some software (eg MediaTomb) can transcode on-the-fly, which might help...
    Have you tried the AllShare player on your DT5100?
    --
    Regards, Iain.

3. messenjah00

messenjah00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer. Okay so, in the end, if one wants to avoid all these compatibility issues the best choice is to have a computer to play every kind of file..
    For DTS sound I have just seen that AC3Filter has some settings that I could play with to see if it can do the transcoding.
    Regarding AllShare, I haven't tried it yet but I'm not too hopeful about AllShare solving those compatibility issues. I'll probably post something about it after installing it.

4. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    The AllShare suggestion is because that will be using the BD player, for which they have almost certainly paid the DTS licensing fees; look for the DTS logo probably on the front...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

5. messenjah00

messenjah00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there it is, the DTS logo. I'll just hope that the range of MKV files that DT5100 can play is larger than for 37PFL7605.
    Thanks Iain.