Using HDFury Arcana to get LLDV to my Epson HC4000 projector with Zidoo X9S and ATV4K...

efernandezjr

Novice Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Hello again, fellow Home Theater nerdlings! So after doing an exhaustive search over the last day, I've discovered that it looks like the DV min/max luminance ONLY AFFECTS DV output. So if it's DV content or anything you've run through the VS10 processor, the DV Min/Max luminance setting will affect it directly. Likewise, if you set your HDR setting to LLDV sync, it'll default to the DV Min/Max luminance settings.

The only thing I haven't yet figured out is what happens if you set your HDR to say a custom NITS value. Like let's say I do 350 like I did for my DV block. Will that then affect HDR/HDR10 content or is the tone mapping a function of using the VS10 processor.

Not sure yet. Will tinker further. In the meantime, I'm running it all through VS10 and the improvement (in all my content) is significant.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post what is essentially (maybe?) a TL;DR question: Why do my Zidoo main menu, ZDMC and Home Theater 4.0 interfaces look so bad when I hook up my Zidoo Z9X up through my HDFury Arcana to get LLDV to my projector?

HDR content looks great. SDR content (including the GUI) not so much. I've tried setting up the Zidoo to use the Dolby VS10 engine for HDR movies only (which worked great). I've also tried using it for HDR/SDR content (worked great for HDR//Okay for SDR). I've attempted to make several changes in the menu but the GUI/HT4.0/ZDMC interfaces just look oversaturated and too dark in dark spots/too bright in bright spots.

I'm running my ATV 4K and Zidoo Z9X through my Marantz SRS6011 (firmware is current). The ATV4K does a solid job of converting everything to LLDV so the image quality is uniform across all videos and menus.

When I playback HDR/DV movies on the Zidoo, they look fantastic as HDR movies are taking advantage of the tone mapping provided by the VS10 engine. SDR movies require me to change the color settings on the projector (NATURAL to CINEMA on my Epson HC4000 - not a big deal).

My Zidoo settings paraphrased:

Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz
Dolby VS10 Engine - SDR/HDR (leaves DV signal alone)
Custom Edid function turned off (since I have an HDFury Arcana)

My HDFury Arcana is set to:

SCALER - 4K30 422 10b LLDV
HDR - Custom NITS - 100
LLDV -> HDR - (Primaries: BT2020 // Min Luminance: 0 // Max Luminance: 10,000)

I've also updated the HDFury to the latest firmware (as of yesterday).

I'd greatly appreciate any help and while I think I got everything please feel free to ask if you need more info about my settings. Thank you!

Last edited:
There’s a dedicated thread for using HD Fury for LLDV tricking. You might get more answers by posting there:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom