1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using HDD greater than 32GB

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Messiah, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Despite the fact that both my PCs use 250GB discs I have just resurrected an old PIII 500 and set it up as an upgrade for my mothers PC. Believe it or not her old machine had just 2.6GB HDD in it :eek:

I have fitted a 60GB drive in the PIII 500 PC but the BIOS is obviously old and it will only recognise the disc if I set the jumper to limit it to 32GB.

Does anyone know of any software that will enable the PC to see the full 60GB? I tried installing the Seagate OnTrack program but it simply caused the PC to request to boot from floppy every time it was switched on. What's strange is I know I used to use that PC (a few years back now) with larger discs but again must have used software to get over the size limit. New HDD, no software so anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BIOS upgrade my friend.

Majik

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks. I was hoping not to have to go down that road. Think I'll just leave it as using the 32GB as that's way more than she's likely to need and then just upgrade her to a new machine in 12 months or so.

Thanks again.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Correct me if I am wrong but why not partition the drive using FDISK then hopefully windows will see it as two 30 GB partitions

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Unfortunately, if I remove the 32GB limit jumper the BIOS does not even recognise the disc so don't think it would work.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Before windows can see the disk, the bios has to see it. I have a 120gig disc on mine split into 3 partitions but it is still reported as 120gig in the bios at start up.

At least you have an option, my oldest machine will not see a disc over about 20gig, and there is no option to make it see a smaller one.