Using Harddisk to Store DVD/CD Data

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cbkia, Jan 18, 2004.

1. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry that this is a little off topic. I was thinking why not use hard disks to store and playback DVD/CDs. I find the idea of paying 5K or more for a DVD/CD player ridiculous. Thus why not harddisk? Harddisk is less susceptible to vibrations unlike CDs. They don't have the problem of warping etc. Thus wouldn't a hardisk produce the best sound and lowest cost (flash memory would be the best but cost a lot more per MB)?

2. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am thinking the same quite a while.
    A few years ago I bought a JVC VCR with hard disk and sinds then I mostly use the hard disk. So what I am looking for is a hard disk recorder with a switchable hard disk, with digital in- and output.
    Mostly I want to use it for registering tv-programs, soms for a short, soms for a longer time.
    A hard disk recorder with switchable HD is per registering in any case not more expensief than a DVD-R, it's - if is is done well - easily to use and to find registered information quickly.

Jürgen