1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using H-Sync/V-Sync/H-Size/V-Size on iSCAN HD+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Eye in the sky, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having an iScan HD+ is a dream but utilising it to its full potential is a jouney. I rely on the operator manual for a lot of adjustments but honestly I find that it should have more information on it to help the users out. To people in DVDO and experts, I need to find out:

1. H-Sync
    How to use this setting and what effects it will do to my plasma apart from what the name says. Can someone explain the the units its in? Is it Hz or percentage of your plasma horizontal frame rate?

2. V-Sync
    Same as above.

3. By changing the H-Sync/V-Sync settings on the HD+, will it be sending out a new H and V sync rates to the plasma (I have a 42PHD7).

4. H-Size and V-Size
    The native resolution of my 42PHD7 is 1024 by 768. I am using a user-defined resolution at 1050 by 786P. Reason being that the native resolution does clip some of the SKY + moives or programmes (UK's satellite provider) I am viewing to a smaller video area. Somehow the HD+ does not lock the video area to what my plasma will display.

Question is am I doing the right thing here? Will it harm my plasma? Is there a better or right way for this?

Would appreciate experts in DVDO or the forum to shed some light on this.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think the recommended approach is to use the test patterns to get the iscan to output to the exact resolution of your panel. Once of the test patterns has a one pixel line all around the edge - once this is configured correctly it should exactly fit the screen. In this configuration with the correct output format, the checkerboard test patterns should give the nice grey image and the horiz and vertical patterns should show nice lines, 1 pixel apart, to imply the display is no longer scaling and you have native res. (sometimes called 1:1 pixel mapping)

With the correct output format, it should only be necessary to use your dislpay settings to move the image. Thats all I need to do on my panny PWD6 anywhow...

Once you have setup the iscan to ensure the test patterns are 100% (including contrast, brightness and colour) any other shift or problems are down to the source being incorrect.

I had the same problem with NTL and Dale from DVDO recommended using the overscan or pan modes to ensure the displayed picture was to my liking. This involved setting NTL overscan to +5 and DVD overscan to +3. Note that overscan preserves the aspect ratio which is often preferable, however you can use the horiz and vertical pan adjustments, however this will change the aspect slightly.

If you want more details on setup, check out the video processor forum on www.avsforum.com or PM Dale Adams (here on avforums.com) or Josh@DVDO (over at avsforum.com)

I did a IScan HD review thread on this forum some time ago and I think I went into setup in there a bit...this may also help...

Cheers

JJ

3. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi JJ,
    I have tried the 1:1 pixel mapping method you did and yes I don't have to adjust H/V position on my PHD7, but the aspect ratio on SKY+ is very unstable, keeps moving out of alignment with the iScan HD+. This means that I constantly have to readjust the H/V positioning on the plasma to get the picture into geometery.

Regarding overscan, I have tried that too. However, overscan does not scale the H and V size of the picture. It just 'blows' up the picture so it looks bigger. Am I right?

Thanks for sharing your experience here. What I really wanted to find out (perhaps Dale can answer) is how can we use the H-Sync/V-Sync on the HD+?

You see, when I adjusted my H-Sync and V-Sync settings I get a much much better PQ, with little or no jaggies!!! Movies on Channel 4, 5 and Sky One leaps out of the plasma. Kid you, I not.

There's a lot of magic in the HD+. we just need some guidance from the wizards in DVDO who made this thing to help us realise its fullest potential, to squeeze every last ouce of power. Hey we paid 1000 GBP for it :) Do you guys in DVDO has a secret manual to share with us fans?

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Defo one for Dale or Josh at avsforum.com...post back here if you get any luck!!! :thumbsup: