Using FR mode this way?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sweat100, Oct 17, 2004.

1. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this question. I wanted to record a how that is 1hr and 45min long. But that includes commercials. So i guess after cutting the commercials it should be around 1hr and 20min. I want the 1hr and 20min to fit exactly on a discusing FR. But i havent figure out a way to do that. If i set FR at 1hr 45min, 25min worth of "video"space will not be used when i use high speed dub. I dont want to record in XP and edit then recode again to FR. Heard that there is lip sync issues and double compression. Just hope that i can do high speed dubbing to elimate the problem. Any ideas how to do that? Panny e100 user here.

2. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid that recording in XP mode, editing the commercials and then real-time dubbing in FR mode is your only option if you don't want to record in FR mode in the first place.

3. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to record FR. But can i do it the way i wanted. A movie that is 1hr45min shorten to 1hr20min after editing. Then the 1hr 20min is the size of 1 full dvd.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Not possible I'm afraid.
    Panasonic dropped a clanger here in not offering something more flexible like the Toshibas and Pioneers do.

Some people here think the added flexibility would make it overly complex to use. I disagree, and think Panasonic should re-think the FR concept.
    However, even in 2 hour SP mode it would appear Panasonics mpeg encoders are sufficiently superior to Toshibas and Pioneers for you to not worry about using SP mode for anything between 1 and 2 hours.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,where are you?This is exactly the problem we were talking about last week,a flaw in Panny's machines,but Rasczak and the other stalwart Panny users said it was not a problem-but it is.
    Without hunting for the thread,I think if you set the Panny into Timer mode you can record at any quality level.You don't want FR,you want to use the running time of your final edit,which you say is 1hr 20 mins.Set the Timer at that level for 1hr 45 min,then you should be ok.But unless you are 100% sure of the running time,leave a bit of leeway

6. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cant so what you want, as using FR mode is to fill 4.7Gb. There si no option to set to an FR mode and record longer.
    If you had 2 programs, you can do this, but not for one recording.
    Given that Pannys have the best encoding, I would suggest to record to XP mode, edit, them FR record that, you wont see a difference. There hasnt been much lip sync issues I have seen either, Ive never had one

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume he is recording to HDD ,not DVD.If so,surely you can set recording up to 6 hours at any recording level,without using FR.Using XP then FR also removes the ability to high speed copy

8. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much thought yesterday, I think there is one way to do that. What you can do is that you set the recorder into 1hr20min FR and start recording. This is to get the desired bit rate after editing the commercials. Half way through the recording (abt 1hr) eg commercials, you have to stop the recording and start it back again at 1hr20min FR mode. In this way, you will have effectively "extended" the FR using the same bit rate and it will not stop at 1hr20min.
    The only downside is that you have to go back to the recorder in the middle of the show. But this is the only solution i thought of. Better ideas, please contribute. So we can have a knowledge base on using the Panny recorder capabilities to the max. ;)

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    .. and miss a few seconds of footage! Good isn't it? NOT! :mad:

There are other things in the Pansasonics favour which make it the machine for me (e.g. its the only machine I've found that has 2 scarts AND seperate S-Video in and out sockets on the back panel.... ideal for using my AV amp as video switcher whilst maintaining RGB loop through from the digi box.)

But, if you need to edit on the HDD, the FR mode is a waste of time.

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad someone else supports my view that Panny implementation of FR is crap compared to other makes.
    Rasczak will be along shortly to tell us why we are wrong again

11. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I was actually meaning u stop the recording during the commercials and resume it again befor the show starts. :)

12. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Sweat100, that is how you can use FR mode. Thats what I do with multiple titles, just set the bitrate I want, then stop halfway thru, or let it run on timer and delete the back half. There is only ONE thing missing with Panny';s FR implementation, and that is to allow FR mode to record past the 4.7Gb barrier. Or allow a preset, where you can set an FR preset to say 180, to give you a 3 hour mode, or whatever u like. But at the end of the day, the Panny's seem to be the best encoder, i.e. quality, and for me at elast that is the main thing , also that they will stay at D2 to about 3 hours before dropping to D1 (half res), whereas the other ones seem to drop at about 2.5 hours.