1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using fabric panels on the inner walls

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ray, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Guys,

My plan is to build a room within my double garage as many of you already done. Usual stuff i.e stud wall, plaster board and soundproofing of some sort. Only one wall will be against the garage wall so for three of them I will have to plasterboard both the inner and outer skin of the partition (probably doubled on the outer wall).My concern is that once it's finished and the kit is installed I'll find it horribly bright with sound bouncing around all over the place and then I'll have to resort to sticking bits of carpet on the wall, hanging cutains I don't want and generally messing about with acoustic whatnots (a technical term :) ).

I was thinking that perhaps a better idea is rather than plasterboard the inner walls I should construct a number of frames covered with some decent fabric and use these to cover the inside wall. My theory is that it is probably better to let the sound through the inner wall to be absorbed as much as possible by the soundproofing material inside. The sound would then travel through the material and hit the out double skinned plasterboard and bounce back then having to passthrough the sound absorber for a second time before coming back into the room.

Ok big question. From your experience guys do you think this may make the acoustics a bit flat ? Is it better to have some reflected sound and then deal with it rather than trying to get rid of it in the first palce as I am suggesting ?
    Am I imagining a problem that is unlikley to occur so should just get on a plasterboard the inner wall as well ?

LIke to know your thoughts

Thanks

Ray :thumbsup:

2. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm planning on covering all the walls and possibly even the ceiling with a very thin foam backed carpet, onto double thick plaster board. The plan being it will stop unwanted reflections, but it won't be so thick as to render the sound completely flat. That's the theory anyway.....

3. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ray,
    You really should check out the other threads in the Room acoustics, audio and Video calibration area of these forums. I lot of talk has been going on for a few weeks regarding this very subject. Have a look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173965

Pemberto

4. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for this pemberto. I think I'll change this to the other forum - more appropriate.

Ray