1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using EAC to copy entire CD collection - should I update DVD drive firmware

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Triggaaar, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    As I'm about to start copying my entire CD collection to my PC, in high quality, I want to get it right.

I was looking at the EAC website, and followed a link to a website, then another etc. Advice being you should be wary etc.

My drive is the NEC 3540. Should I
    a) not bother flashing it
    b) get offical firmware
    c) get firmware here and follow advice here ?

Thanks

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Having had a quick scan through the guide fro flashing, most of the benefits seem to be dvd related and don't seem to effect cd playback so I probably wouldn't bother.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I agree, firmware changes will not affect CD reading (or writing) at all because the changes to firmware are not concerned with that part of a universal drives capabilities. Getting your ripping software right is a much bigger priority, as is ensuring you have a quality soundcard for playback. I will be ripping my collection to a server in the not too distant future, but I am thinking about ripping WAV files so I have no degradation of sound quality. With the advent of really big drives, space is not really a problem anymore is it?

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    EAC is definitely the way to go for ripping Music CDs, it'll rip beautiful/perfect wavs of damaged CDs that won't even play in a normal CD player.. :thumbsup:

It's fairly easy to setup too, just whack it in 'paranoid' mode then go make some coffee... (LOTS of coffee..) :D

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cablemonkey,

The trouble with wavs is no tagging support, just use a lossless codec like ape or flac, it halves the size of the original and adds tagging support and is every bit as good as the original, far far better than even the best rate mp3's.

Best bet before you rip to many is to take a couple of your favorites and see if you can hear a difference. Even if you cannot hear a difference between lossless and mp3 I would still picklossless as I wouldn't want to rerip after a system upgrade that did allow you to hear the difference.

I now have about 18000 tracks ripped as ape files and they take up about 500gb. The cd's are now in the loft, if I need one for the car I convert the file back onto a cdr that I dont mind getting scratched.

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    You can Tag wav's John? I'm fairly sure of it...

it's not something I actually bother with, but within EAC there is certainly a working option for tagging wav files...?

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I thought all you could do was manipulate the filename with wav in eac which doesn't provide the same benefits as proper tagging support.

Never mind being corrected though if I'm incorrect, we are all here to share knowledge :)

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    like I say, I don't actually bother tagging anything so it's not actually a tested theory as such, I just remember EAC being able to store tag info for wav files and manipulate the filenames from the stored tag information... I'll have to try burning some now and see what we get.! :)

out of interest, as a compresion guy do you have a preference between ape and flac ?

I (very briefly, not thoroughly) tried ape and though i could hear a difference, but have never tested with flac...?

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,555
    EAC just puts all the track/artist info into the filename of the WAV filename.

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I don't think you can tag wavs with all the info that you can on FLAC files etc (not tried, just from what I've read).

Anyway, I've loaded it, set it up and tested it, and all seems grand. All I've got to do now is get my squeezebox working.

I used this excellent site to set up EAC, and they recommended not using 'paranoid' mode.

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    sorry mate, that last bit was a bit tongue in cheek..:)
    paranoid mode can work wonders sometimes, with 'iffy' cd drives, but anything that passes the drive-checks built in will work fine in normal 'secure' mode..

that's a really good guide, seems to be all the same settings that I spent weeks finding out the hard way!! :rolleyes:

12. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    EAC is the only way to make accuarate copies of your music, once you have it set up properly it will give you amazing copies everytime, I recommend using LG DVD Drives, for ripping, the 4163 and the 8163 are both good drives..., for the MP3 encoder you should use the official fraunhofffer one which you can get from here....just set EAC up to use it, and you can pick up an LG 8163 for around £20, and I highly recommend getting one...

LINK

If you are still living in the past and have win 98 orME, then the best way to get yout music off oyur cd is by using the Alternate CDFS.VXD hack, which hacks the windows audio cd driver and displays the entire cd as .wav files so no ripping needed, just drag the files off the cd and you get full high quality audio without no glitches/hisses, as it is an exact duplicate of the original, and you can compress it if you want wiht your own programs.

LINK

13. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think the LAME is accepted as being the best MP3 codec...

14. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    At 128kbps and under the fraunhoffer codec rules, and it's proven...it's made by the company who invented the MP3 format, but until now the codec has been unavailabe to get, so you have never listened to anything with the fraunhoffer codec....

15. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I saw that on the EAC site I listed above. Still not going to be as good as FLAC or equivellant for my needs. Maybe once I've loaded my music, I'll think about getting an mp3 player, and then it'll be useful.

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,555
    with huge HDD's now being cheap, why the hell would you use MP3 anyway?

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'll upload a sample in a day or so and you can listen to the quality, oh and I won't rip using EAC i'll install Windows ME and use the alternate CDFS.VXD hack to get the audio...then i'll compress it via windows sound recorder and the fraunhoffer codec, that way gives you the best quality...but unfortunately the CDFS.VXD hack does not work in win XP nor does it support CD Extra/Hyrid/Data Audio cd's..., just a bog standard Audio only cd i'm afraid...

18. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    MP3 maybe sounds fine on a car system, or a walkman etc, but they're not even nearly good enough to listen to on a serious hifi.

128kbps MP3 sounds like a clock-radio in comparison to .wav on my system at least..?

19. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    MP3 is like going back to tape for me

20. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Well it sounds pretty good to me compared to the .wav, I have a Logitech Z5500 and audigy 2, and cannot really tell the difference, you must be using a crappy program to rip and a crappy encoder, try downloading a couple of songs from Napster and listening to them, there straight from studio sourced files...anyway I can prolly understand where your coming form ,I hate watching DVD's because the picture quality is so inferior compared to Hi-Def stuff..

21. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    it depends on the system you're listening on more than anything else..
    In my car (top of range Sony head-unit and Infinity Speakers) I'll quite happily listen to mp3 as there's barely a difference, at home I'll use MP3s my mates bring round only for demoing new albums, then I go buy the album and rip it as .wav

If I listen to mp3 on my home system, it honestly sounds like I made the amps myself.

I've not experimented (properly) with ape and flac files yet, but the difference between mp3 and wav really is huge to my ears, they're not even comparable.

JohnS has got me interested in FLAC though, that's pretty nice rig he's listening to.. if he's happy with lossless compression then I'll have to have a proper go at least.. :smashin:

22. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think it would be helpful to qualify MP3, 128Kbit/s sounds very different to 320Kbits/s... On an average AV system (something like my sig.) the vast majority wouldn't be able to differentiate 320Kbit/s MP3 from CD/.wav... Done well, MP3 really isn't that bad at all, but I agree that with the prices of HDD's falling all the time one of the lossless codecs is probably the way to go...

23. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    and I suppose to be fair, as well as the nature of the system, it depends heavily on the nature of the music too.
    MP3s of quality analog recordings such as live jazz/blues are pretty dire in comparison to .wav, even at 256/320kbps, whereas electronic/digital music etc is much much harder to tell apart, even at the lower bitrates...

24. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've got a pretty decent system and I can't tell the difference between well encoded MP3s, FLACs and the original WAVs. To be honest, I spent so much time doing audio tests and trying to discern differences I found myself listening to equipment rather than the music. Perhaps the more audiophile among us do actually hear differently to the rest and can pick up the difference but I can't. But anyway, it's the music that I really care about and my favourite music in MP3 format still sounds great to me. Perhaps when I can afford another 500GB drive I'll switch to listening to my FLACs instead, just incase my brain can suddenly notice what I've been missing!

If you're ripping with EAC I can recommend using MAREO: http://mareo.monkeydev.org/

Set it up correctly and when you hit shift+F5 in EAC it will rip to WAV, convert to however many formats you want MP3, FLAC etc., tag everything properly and move them to folder locations and optionally delete the source WAVs

25. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Slinkoff,

Thats a good link thanks, when I rip i always rip to .ape and then also convert the .ape file to 128k .mp3 for my portable player, nice to be able to now do it in one process.

Cheers

26. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'll check out that site, thanks.

Obviously some MP3 recordings are better than others. But on an HDD costing £100, you can get 800 albums in lossless compression. More than I need.

27. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    that's not more than I need! I'd need getting on for a terrabyte of storage to get all my uncompressed audio onto my computer. They currently reside on 2 external backup disks, 1TB internal drives aren't going to be affordable for a while yet!

Who knows, in the future we may not even need to store anything. We might all have 1GB internet connections and be paying monthly subs to a service that centrally serves just about every piece of music ever created. Stream as much music as you like for a flat monthly fee.

28. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I didn't say uncompressed, I'm using FLAC. If you have more than 1600 albums (£200 HDD) that you listen to, fair enough.

Not sure about that future - searching for a track could be too tricky, especially when there's several versions of each song.

29. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Xlobby makes it easy as long as you tag correctly. :)

30. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    With your collection, yes. Not with every song ever recorded.