1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DVI out from videocard to HDTV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MyThTV, Sep 18, 2003.

1. MyThTV

MyThTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time poster so please be kind.. LOL any way I had posted this question on a different Forums and someone suggested I would try here:
    in the next couple weeks I will be in the market for a new TV, I have been looking at HDTV and I see that some of them have DVI ports and since my soontobebuilt MYTHTV box has a DVI connector, I was wondering if anyone had been using it, I have done a bit of research and some info point out that DVI on TV is not meant to be used with a PC some other say you can use it with certain TVs... I'm confused, hopefully
    someone can shed some light
    Thank you

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome ;)

Yes, you were informed correctly. DVI on a TV is not intended for PC use. It's intended for DVI equipped HDTV set-top/satellite boxes.

Chances are you'll be able to send the TV some resolutions from your PC via DVI, but the results will be unpredictable. DVI, being an all digital transmission medium, won't allow you to send any/all resolutions you choose. The TV just won't accept them.

I've read stories of people searching at length & in vain for "special" monitor drivers etc... for DVI equipped HDTVs.

All this assuming it's a CRT HDTV. LCD/Plasma displays are a different story.

HTH.

:smoke:

3. MyThTV

MyThTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but could you tell me what you meant with your comment on Plasma/LCD?