1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DVI adapter on VGA - lower quality?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Goof, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Recently upgraded to a Z2 but was surprised to find it didn't have a VGA input (I used VGA for my previous AE300). Luckily I had a DVI adapter kicking about from my gfx card and wacked that on the Pj end of the cable.

Just wondering if this will lower image quality substantially or mess up optimal colour balance?

TIA :smashin:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If I understand your setup correctly, you're feeding RGB analog into the Z2's DVI-I connector via this adaptor, the converse of what's done on a PC's card.

The adaptor is simply two different connector types with wires connecting corresponding pins, as such it's passive and doesn't affect the signal at all.

3. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks KraGorn - so, basically, I'm not deteriorating the signal from VGA standards, but at the same time not gaining any of the benefits of DVI (if there are any!)?

Do you know if using another adapter on the PC's VGA end (to output from the Radeon's DVI) will allow me to pass a digital signal?

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI port has provision for analogue and digital signals, using the rgb-dvi adaptor is purely analogue, exactly the same signal process as a rgb port except they save on adding one extra connection

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    No - it will still pass an anolgue VGA signal, but will use the DVI-I connector instead of the VGA HD15 connector (it's still the same signal though).

You'd need a DVI-I monitor cable to get the digital connection (this cable could be used to pass either digital or analogue - your choice, and would be used without any adapters)

DVI-I has extra pins to allow both analogue VGA and digital on the same port.
    DVI-D on the other hand, does not - it's digital only!

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Goof: hopefully by now you understand things. :) As Mike says, DVI-I carries both types of signals, but generally you'll want to use the digital side when both devices can handle digital, which in this case they can.

If you want to go digital then I would suggest you get just a DVI-D cable. This will work perfectly with your equipement but it will only carry the digital signals and not the analog ones as well, which you won't need and plausibly can introduce noise into the digital wires they run alongside.

7. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, thanks Robin, Mike and Ptek - I thought that was probably the case. DVI is something I never gave much heed as I didn't have the capability with my first PJ (AE200) and have never got around to reading up on it. Will need to go do so :)

8. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, looks like there's not much more to it (that I need to know) than mentioned above!

Although I've seen a couple of people say in theory DVI should provide a 'cleaner' signal being digital-to-digital, is there a noticable benefit using it? (if its benefits are even debatable I think I'd just stick with VGA).

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, it's usually noticeable, certainly the bigger the screen the easier it is to see noise induced by D->A->D conversions, though the difference depends on the quality of the system of course.

Why not try it? Get a cheap 2m DVI cable and compare for yourself.

10. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why didn't I think of that, got a spare DVI cable here from my monitor :rotfl:

System is HCPC, 9800pro, Theatertek 1.5 - Pj is Sanyo Z2.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had that setup at one time, well a 9600 but there's no practical difference in an HTPC, you should be pleased with the results using DVI. :)