Using DVD player to play CD's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nik G, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Nik G

Nik G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to connect up a new (to me) home cinema system and I am planning on using my sony DVD player as a CD player too. It is DTS compatible so I will be connecting it to the amp via a digital co-axial cable and a twin-phono cable. I shall be connecting it to the tv via an RGB scart cable. The problem is my DVD player only has one pair of phono output sockets (L & R) and the amp has 4 DVD sockets (IN L & R and OUT L & R) so which ones do I use? I had considered using the CD sockets on the amp as there are only two of these (and a co-ax socket) but I worry that I may lose performance this way - I don't know why! Also, I think the amp remote can only be used with a yamaha cd player when using the cd terminals at the back of the amp. Many thanks in advance for any help!

Amp - Yamaha DSP-A1
    DVD - Sony DVP-NS330

2. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    It doesnt matter which sockets you use on your amp as long as you switch to that when you want to listen to cds. Your best bet would be to connnect the phonos (audio out) from your dvd player to the cd-in on your amp and then when you wanna listen to cds switch your amp to the CD input. simple.

As for you remote I am not sure if its proigrammable but if so it may just be the case of getting the sony code if not then you will need to control the cds form your sony remote....or get an all in one option like a harmony. Do you not have the manual for the amp any more?

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You don't need the phono-twin cable actually since CD audio (PCM) can be carried via the digital interconnect, too.

If you however insist on using the analog connection (e.g. for 96kHz/24bit formats) you can use any free line level input, i.e. DVD, CD, AUX or Tuner even, just not the phono (turntable player) input. There is AFAIK no difference between those, at least none that would effect the performance.

The remote can be programmed to work with other players (it has a learning function), regardless of which input the player is connected to.
    The only thing that will not work in this case is that the A1's display will not show what button (e.g. Play, FFW, Pause etc.) you have just pressed, it only does so for Yamaha equipment (using the Yamaha IR codes).

4. Humph

Humph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the converse, I've almost stopped using my Marantz CD player in favour of playing my CDs on my Toshiba 350 DVD player through the speakers on my Pioneer plasma set!

Humph

5. Nik G

Nik G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh ok. But it says in the manual that the area A keys are preset for Yamaha tape, cd and tuner (and can't learn new functions) so I assumed that I couldn't use the corresponding terminals on the back of the amp unless I had yamaha components? I would prefer to keep the connections the same as designated (i.e. CD for CD and VCR for VCR etc) so as other people using the remote will be able to do so without having to refer to my scribbles inside the remote cover.

Thanks for the replies BTW! :thumbsup: