Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Using DV Camera In Extreme Conditions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by challengesnow, Oct 1, 2003.

1. challengesnow

challengesnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I'm writing to glean some hints and tips from the wide knowledge base in this forum.

I am the owner of a Snowboarding Coaching company. (see www.challengesnow.com). We host coaching camps for the intermediate to expert rider in Tignes, France.

Our coaches use Video Analysis as the key part of training and techincal assesment. What I'm after is some information on using a DV camera (mini DV) in extreme conditions i.e. on top of mountains at very low temperatures (often 10F -10C) and tips on buying - are there particular models/manufactures which are more hard wearing than others - I know the temp can sap the battery life, is there some makes that are better than others??

Also is there some good protection kit like special water/snow proof cases, lense protection ect...

Your thoughts and ideas would be kindly received.

Robin.

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look here: http://portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=PRM

Exercise a lot of caution, camcorders do not react well to extreme temperatures (although 0-10C would probably be just about okay), battery life will also be shorter. Of course the biggest killer for any camcorder is condensation. Your manual should be able to tell you what to do with regards to condensation.