1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DV camcorder as digitiser

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chrisberry, Sep 23, 2005.

1. chrisberry

chrisberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I use my Panasonic NVGS250 camcorder as a digitiser, to record from a VHS through the camera to my ibook? I don't want to record to the camera, but directly to my hard drive.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup indeedy, on the camcorder VCR mode menu select 'set up' options (me finks) switch off the DV input (or switch on the AV input, if in doubt onsult your handbook) you'll need a switched scart output adaptor set to 'out' to run from the back of your deck into the camcorder 3.5mm input.

Also have your 4-pin to 4-pin firewire adaptor plugged into the ibook and set your device control to 'non-controllable' (in Final Cut this is under the Final Cut Pro>AV Settings>Device Control Preset (set to non-controllable) open the capture window, hit play on your deck (allow about 15seconds pre-roll to let the system catch up) then hit 'capture now' usually allows 30 minutes default capture at a time.

I'll need to get back to you on imovie as i rarely use it.

One thing with the ibook, they are quite slow drives, and you are asking a lot of the machine to run osX, your video package and capture to the same drive at video data rates, as always I would absolutely suggest daisy chaining your camcorder through an external firewire drive and setting this as your capture drive. Otherwise you'll struggle, even on the most recent ibooks.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. chrisberry

chrisberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers
    I'll try this and keep you posted!!

5. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy

Do you have an external firewire harddrive? If so what make and model is it as I am planning on buying one and would like to know does it 'cut the mustard'?

6. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lacie 250 gb D2 triple interface, 8MB buffer (£150 from micordirect.co.uk) needs a lindy 9pin>4pin cable to daisy chain (£10 from Amazon) camcorder.

Works out the box with my mac, but needs formatting for my PC (WinXP), you also have to watch device manager settings on windows.

These drives work a treat, are stable, portable, once formatted they are OS swappable (I can plug the drive form my PC into my & vice versa, as long as XP or OSX can handle the file extension its fine)

They are pretty future proof too, with firewire 800 ports (backwards compatible with present firewire 400) & with 2 year manafacturers guarantee.
    The Roxio drag to dic & disc creator software (& Toast LE for MAC) is pretty useful.

7. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used a much smaller capacity Lacie on a MAC and was very impressed with it, I will certainly have a scout around to see what they are going for now, you seem to have gotten a good bundle for the price.