1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DV camcorder as digitiser

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chrisberry, Sep 23, 2005.

1. chrisberry

chrisberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I use my Panasonic NVGS250 camcorder as a digitiser, to record from a VHS through the camera to my ibook? I don't wnat to record to the camera, but directly to my hard drive.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think you'll have to record to the mini dv tape and then ouput to the ibook. I'm not familiar with the GS250 but I don't think many camcorders have a loop through facility.

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can do this using my Sony TRV33.

I don't know your particular camcorder, but does it have AV-in? If it doesn't (a lot don't) then you definitely won't be able to do this.

Why don't you just try it (or have you already tried and failed)?

The other thing to ensure is that you use the correct AV lead. The ones that are supplied with camcorders are usually output only i.e. from camcorder to VHS. You need to make sure that you've got a lead that will work in the other direction. I personally use a switchable lead that I purchased from Maplin.

***EDIT***
    ooops, did see you'd double posted!