1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using dual-output on a Radeon 9800

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Sep 17, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm hoping to use my main PC for an HTPC as well as games etc., so to that end I want to use my 9800 to drive both my LCD monitor at 1280x1024 and my AE300 at something controlled by Powerstrip approaching 960x540 .. I am aware of the 1:1 problem with the pj.

Clearly the VGA output will be driving the pj while the DVI drives the monitor, as it is doing now. I've never set up a dual-output system and although it seems simple enough in the past I tripped over problems using the S-Video output driving a TV.

So, are there any tips on doing this which'll help me avoid problems?

Cheers

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Using Radeon Control Panel you can set up dual monitors, right mouse click on desktop area, click properties, settings, advanced and you'll see a lot of tabs including (I think) displays. You can set up here either to have independantly driven (use a hotkey like F1 for PC F2 for PJ) or you can clone displays.

I use this for 1024x768 for PC monitor and 1280x720 for CRT.

It's been a bit flaky in the past but he new cat3.7 drivers seem to have tightened it up somewhat!!

Best to ghost you drive 1st tho'!!

Steve

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi KRaGorn

I have just undertaken the same task on an 8500..

I would look for an application called ultramon... (www.ultramon.com) it has much better control of where windows should appear via shortcuts etc additional configurable hotkeys etc... IMO

Other things I have learnt..

powerstrip has a /mon x command which allows you to target a specific monitor with refresh rates from command lines from within Girder etc..

I have failed to get hardware dxva working on the second screen... so switch that off in Theatertek (if you are using TT).

If using reclock, you must select the appropraite monitor i.e. mon 2.. simple, but I missed it and kept on screwing up the syncronisation... :)

Dscaler didnt really like my multi monitor setup until cat 3.7 and 4.16 or 4.17, just make sure you run the monitors side by side as opposed to vertically....

Things I have failed to achieve...

The ability to remotely switch off or individually control monitors.. i.e. mon 1 to powersave while still watching the projector... The Powerstrip forums blame ATI who wont realise the appropraite code or API calls... :(

Otherwise it works really well...

Good luck...
    Paul.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks both, some useful tips there. I have dabbled in the Displays tab before now when messing with TV-out but I've never tried to configure two independent displays, where one is for the desktop and normal work while the second is solely for media playing such as DVDs, DivX etc.

As yes Steve, I've used Ghost and Drive Image for some years .. wouldn't install Windows nowadays without. :D