Question Using DSPeaker Anti-Mode with nearfield subwoofers?

phAge

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a 5.2 setup with two XTZ subs up front and an additional two nearfield subs behind the main listening positions - the latter being driven by a single iNuke 6000DSP.

I'm using Yamaha's YPAO to equalize the 5.2 speakers, along with the - limited - tuning options on the XTZ subs and then tweaking the nearfields with the equalizer in the iNuke based on measurements taken with my XTZ Room Analyzer.

When using YPAO I leave the nearfields off, as I suspect they would confuse the hell out of the Yamaha amp.

I've gotten pretty good results with the above, but I want everything to sound as good as it can, so have just ordered a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II.

The device itself is pretty simple: It has two outputs, and I'm thinking about running one to the iNuke, and the other, via a splitter, to the XTZ subs.

However, I'm unsure how I should use it with the nearfields. Can the DSPeaker "understand" that one set of subs is placed behind the listening position and acting as nearfields for maximum tactile response?

I'm thinking I should either:

A: Set things up as above and simply run the DSPeaker equalizer.

or

B: Connect the DSPeaker to the front subs only and then try to dial in the nearfields "by hand" as best I can?

I want to make bass as tight and well-integrated as possible, but I don't want to lose the slam that the nearfields currently give me.

Thoughts?

What sub's have you got and how big is the room? Most of the XTZ sub's have got pretty decent tuning options in my experience, having had a pair of XTZ 1x12's which in my room (5 x 5 metres) i never had any problem getting both depth and slam.

Would have thought the better option would be to get 2 subs that can give you the output and slam that you want as it's always a bit tricky trying to get 4 subs to play nicely together, especially if they are different.

What sub's have you got and how big is the room? Most of the XTZ sub's have got pretty decent tuning options in my experience, having had a pair of XTZ 1x12's which in my room (5 x 5 metres) i never had any problem getting both depth and slam.

Would have thought the better option would be to get 2 subs that can give you the output and slam that you want as it's always a bit tricky trying to get 4 subs to play nicely together, especially if they are different.
The front subs are 12.17's recently upgraded to the new SA-1 plate amps, so pretty similar to the 1X12. They've always done the business (room is about 4x7 metres) but the addition of the 4 12" drivers behind the seats have made a massive difference in tactile response - for about £750.

I've spent the last couple of hours playing around with the DSPeaker, but as the 2nd SA-1 amp only arrives tomorrow it's too early to say if it makes a substantial difference in my room. It definitely does *something* though. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom