1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using different speaker brands for front and rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a good idea? If I was to use Mission M51's as rears and, say, Quad 21L's as front (with matching Quad centre). The reason I ask is because I want to upgrade my front speakers to floorstanders and use my existing M51's as rears, I don't want to get rid of them since they are perfectly good speakers. Or would my choice of front speakers be restricted to something that matches sonically like something in the M5 range.

I know this is technically quite possible but how would using different brands of system in a HC setup effect the sound field?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The purists will tell you that you should stick to the same manufacturer for voice matching but it is nowhere near as important as matching the front three as much less pans from front to back than side to side and then it tends to be bullets and not voices.

I have M&K speakers at the front and find it very annoying that whilst 90% of the sound emanates from the front, the matching rear speakers are more expensive so I did what you are proposing and have Mission M7DS bipole speakers at the rear.

Unless I am playing an SACD like Dark Side of The Moon where equal use is made of all five speakers I don't find a problem with voice matching. There are occasions where I do have a problem with quality matching on very loud passages like the depth charging in U571 played at or close to reference level as the Missions weren't built to withstand such abuse but that doesn't happen too often.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be fine. I use different makes - Kef Ref for front three, NHT dipoles for sides, B&W 601's for rears.

As long as the speakers sound good and neutral they shouldn't call attention to themselves (ie if one set is un-naturally harsh that could effect the panning)

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Ian,

Could any one possibly recommend speakers makes/brands that go well sonically with the Mission M51's. I'm looking for floorstanders in the £600 - £1000 price bracket. Thanks!

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Those Missions have a fairly forward tone, so Quads, MA, matching Mission M53's or even some Mission 782SE's? I'd avoid warmer speakers like B&W 603 S3's or the new Wharfedales (not because they are poor, they're not!), but like Ian and Nathan say, it doesn't really matter. Get a set of floorstanders you like the sound of and buy the matching centre. :cool:

6. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    I'm running new Monitor Audio Silvers(front/centre) with Kef coda rears. Not a 100% match but close enough to save me a lot on some MA rears.

I prefered the MA S6's to the equivelant B&W's, and much better at lower volumes.

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Get the M53's, you can get them for £350 (about half price-ish). Quads sound nothing like the M5's, AT ALL ;)

8. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

Oh deer, I had my eye set on the Quads as well. I would just buy matching M53's but I've read some rather critical reviews on these speakers, would I be better off with the M52's instead? Or could people recommend some floorstanders to go with the M51's as rears that I could possibly demo with the M52/53's?

9. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Well, you could go for the M52's if you want, but I would not read too much into those reviews. Use your own ears to decide. The M51's also got poor reviews by WHF, and yet to my ears, they are as good as any speakers in their price range, and as good as some more expensive speakers. The important thing with the M5 range is having a *good* amplifier to drive them.

Mission must have forgot to pay WHF their monthy bribe....