Using Denon AVR-1910 as an audio amp

teppsta

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I am hoping some may be able to help me as my experience is very limited.

I am trying to set up an old Denon AVR-1910 as an amp to play audio. i am nearly there but not quite.

I have connected the amp to my speakers using the front A connectors. The speakers are PMC uprights.

I have connected an Apple Airport Express to the CD inputs using a 3.5mm to phono lead.

When I play from my phone to the Airport Express I can hear the music, but it is very quiet and sounds a bit like a cheap transistor radio. definitely not right as the speakers are very good.

I am baffled by the complexity of the Denon amp and I guess that I am missing a configuration option - and I hope someone may be able to give me some advice.

Cheers

Simon

Hi I am hoping some may be able to help me as my experience is very limited.

I am trying to set up an old Denon AVR-1910 as an amp to play audio. i am nearly there but not quite.

I have connected the amp to my speakers using the front A connectors. The speakers are PMC uprights.

I have connected an Apple Airport Express to the CD inputs using a 3.5mm to phono lead.

When I play from my phone to the Airport Express I can hear the music, but it is very quiet and sounds a bit like a cheap transistor radio. definitely not right as the speakers are very good.

I am baffled by the complexity of the Denon amp and I guess that I am missing a configuration option - and I hope someone may be able to give me some advice.

Cheers

Simon
I would be inclined to try a different source first - I'm not sure that your connection of the Apple device is going to work. Have you got a CD/DVD player that you could try hooking up instead? Also I not sure what you mean by the "Front A" connectors for the speakers? Can you enclose a picture?

Also make sure that you have selected the correct input (CD) on the amp.

Thank you Captain James!

I tried using the receiver, built-in to the amplifier, and got the same problem.

Managed to find the manual for my PMC FB1 speakers online, and realised that what I was missing was a pass through between the high frequency terminals and the low frequency terminals on the speakers. Put that in place with some speaker wire and hey presto ... sounding good.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my initial query

I have an AVR 1910, worth noting that if you put the "amp assign" mode into "bi-amp" then you can use the speakers bi-wired (and sort of bi-amped although using the same power supply). But given you aren't using all the other speaker outputs and that it's nearly 500w power supply you may hear a difference. Worth a go if you have spare speaker leads.
You can look this up in the manual. There is a copy on manualslib.com
Don't forget if you do biwire the speakers to remove the connectors between the HF and LD terminals 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom