• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using both Pioneer SC-LX59 & SC-LX85 for 7.1.4 speaker layout?

Crush2019

Hi,

I've purchased the SC-LX59 today, to replace my SC-LX85 because of dolby atmos.

I know the SC-LX59 runs 7.1.2 no problems at all, however in the instruction manual its needs another ampifier to run the other two atmos speakers. so I was thinking rather than ditch my LX85 can I use that to run the extra speakers? and if yes is it better two run the front L and R on the LX85 and use all the others on the LX59. if this is possible how would I do this?

I'm reading the instruction manual and looks possible from there however it seems very confusing.

Also if the above is possible however does the volume control work - as wont I have two volume controls now? but as its the same make I guess my logitech will increase both volumes at once.

Please shout if this doesn't make sense :)

Thanks in advance :)

Dfour

you probably could but IMHO you would be wasting a lot of money doing so. A cheap (sub £100 (rotel)) power amp would be your best and easiest bet and then sell the old amp to make some of your investment back. No weirdy hook ups with preouts and pre ins and no 2 big amps snorting power like its free and no volume matching problems either.

Im interested in buying a lx59 and wondered what speakers your using with it?

Crush2019

sorry for the delay in replying back..... understand the above, but would like both amps to be pioneer, as wouldn't it help the remote as in volume? - I've never done pre-outs and ins, and always bought amps that do the total package. How would the volume work if I'm using two amp, as I would like the volumes to be the same i.e. one amp not louder than the other... - or am I completely wrong?

The speakers I' using are monitor audios soundframes one.

Dfour

if your using a (purely) power amp it can be any brand and volume is not a concern as the pre-amp controls the volume for both amps. Essentially the power amp is a slave for the preamp.

Crush2019

is there some support stuff on this I'm slightly confused still :( and don't want to waste your time.

at the SC-LX59 is running 7.1.2 setup, however I would like additional 2 atmos speakers, what I was planning that these additional speakers get plugged into the SC-LX59 and the SC-LX85 will power the front two main speakers. So sc-LX59 is still the main amp, and I connect RCA leads from preout of the SC-LX59 to the pre-in SC-LX85 and change the settings on the SC-Lx85 to an Stereo Amplifier? am I heading down the right direction?

Thanks in advance of helping me out...

Dfour

Not wasting my time im happy to try and help. :)

Can the LX59 assign the front right and left amplifiers to other duties? If it can then your idea could work but if not the LX58 could only be used to drive the last 2 atmos speakers.

Dfour

clear as mud. |Looks like you can do this see page 30
[E] 7.2.4 channel surround (Front Pre Out) connection
!
Select ‘
7.2.4ch Front Pre out ’ from the Speaker System menu.
See speaker system setting on page 110 to do this.
!
When only connecting one surround
back speaker, connect it to the
SURROUND BACK L (Single)
terminals.
!
Front is output from the
PR
E OUT
EXTRA 2
terminals of the receiver. Connect the
EXTRA 2
terminal to the
external amplifier, and connect the external amplifier to the front speaker.
!
When
TFw
is
set to
Dolby Sp (Front)
in
Speaker Setting
, connect the top forward channel to Dolby Enabled
Speaker.
!
When
TBw
is
set to
Dolby Sp (Surr)
or
Dolby Sp (SB)
in
Speaker Setting
, connect the top backward channel
to Dolby Enabled Speaker

Crush2019

thank you looking at this is great.. so the SC-LX59 will still be the master? and when the volume is adjusted on the SC-LX59 it will change the volume on SC-LX85

Dfour

thank you looking at this is great.. so the SC-LX59 will still be the master? and when the volume is adjusted on the SC-LX59 it will change the volume on SC-LX85

The lx59 will be the master but if it will control both volumes and keep them equal I dont know to be honest.

camelot1971

While it is technically possible to do what you are doing (connecting the pre-outs from your 59 to the 7.1 analogue in on the 85) it will be a pain to level match the channels in the 85.

As suggested, you would be better off selling your 85 and getting a 2 channel power amp. For Atmos use it won't need to be anything too beefy; any of the Japanese companies amps would be fine.

It will also save you running a large AV amp for just 2 channels (plus possible remote control issues if they both use the same remotes).

Crush2019

Ok thank you is there any suggestions on the amp?

I know this is an knowledge thing but even if I choose another power amp how do I keep the volume the same as to amplifiers.

As I've got a Logitech remote just st can't remember seeing the option to control two amps

camelot1971

Depending on your budget, a second hand Arcam or Audiolab would work great. Should be able to find something decent for less than £200.

You just connect the pre out on the 59 to the pre in on the amp and away you go - no need to worry about volume control as the 59 will do that. Most amps will have a 12v trigger input too so they power on when the 59 powers on.

You can get integrated stereo amps that have a fixed "processor" input to do the same thing but to be honest it would be just as much a faff as using your 85.

chiglee

Standard Member
Anyone still interested in this can also use a pioneer A30 £200 which looks similar to the 59 & has a power amp button/setting so the 59 controls the volume for both amps.

I used one with my 7.2.4 setup & it looks & sounds amazing.

euglena

Standard Member
Have just got an Pioneer A30 to go with my LX59 and hooked everything up as specified in the manual for my 6.1.4 configuration. Problem is there is no sound from the surround back speaker when playing blu-rays with DTS Neural:X or with DTS:X Master audio.

MCACC Pro has picked up all the speakers and in manual speaker setup the test tone is played through all speakers. Maybe I have missed something in the audio options, any ideas?

euglena

Standard Member
No flashing lights, just Speakers A and Power Amp Direct lights are on. Tried the test tones again and SB is fine but still no joy when handling blu-ray audio output.

euglena

Standard Member
Thanks chiglee, I have sorted it now. Connected both left and right channels between LX59 and A30 and set the surround back speakers to small x 2. Will try again with small x 1 to see if it still works but looking forward to full immersion with 6.1.4 :)

chiglee

Standard Member
Ok bud
If it doesn't work I would suggest you double check your speaker connections.
Also I've never heard of a 6.1.4 setup??? & all your speakers should be set to small if you have a subwoofer connected.
If you feel pictures of any part of my setup would help I'd be happy to up load...

euglena

Standard Member
I only have installed one surround back speaker due to room limitations hence the referring to my setup as 6.1.4. Connections are all fine now thanks.

All my speakers are set to small currently although MCACC Pro set my front and surrounds to large and the cross over frequency to 150 Hz. This I suspected was because the front and surrounds (Monitor Audio Radius 270'a) can handle down to 50 Hz but the Onkyo SKH410 Atmos speakers can only down to 100 Hz. However, the Pioneer AV receiver 2015 reference guide under bass management states "MCACC Pro directs low frequency component with directionality to the floor speaker below the Dolby Atmos enabled element, and the lower frequency components to the subwoofer". The diagram below from the reference guide shows this in more detail.

This makes me think that I should set my front and surrounds to large again to get the best out of the LX59 bass management capabilities.

upload_2016-11-8_21-10-25.png

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom