1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using both high and low level connections - how should I do setup?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Horrabin, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Horrabin

Horrabin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my big honking BK Monolith delivered (yay! :thumbsup: ) but I'm having trouble deciding how I should set it up. Since the Monolith is able to have both the high and low level connections at the same time, I'm in a bit of a pickle. If I use the high level connection and connect it to the front speaker output on my receiver, the sub handles the low frequencies sent to the speakers, right?! This means I should set my speakers as "large" when I do the setup, since they now can deliver frequencies down to 20-30 hz, right?! However, in all guides I've read for setting up the sub, it is suggested (almost required) that the speakers shall be set to "small" in order for the low level connection to do its job properly.

How should I set up the sub? Large or small speakers? I want to use both connections (low & high) since I've heard that I can get a much better sound for music when I use high level connections, but I need to use low level as well so I can get the .1 LFE sound from movies.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always set my speakers to large as i feel it sounds better, you should experiment though, take a good look at your manuals recommendations for your particular subwoofer, the REL Q201E i have suggests high and low level connections and i have both connected up.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The prime connection (for movies) should be the single phono from the AV amp into the low level connection. This ensures you are getting a clean ".1" signal as intended. As for whether large or small speaker setting is best, try it!

For music on the AV amp I also use this connection and it seems to sound fine.

I have the high level connected to a completely separate HiFi system (music only). I'd be slightly concerned you'd be "muddying the waters" if you connected both high and low to the same amp, but not having tried it I can't say for certain...PJ

4. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too connect my sub at low-level to my av amp, and at high level to a separate stereo amp for music.

For AV, my Fronts are set to small (>80Hz), despite having pretty good bass performance. This lets them concentrate on the mid/high range.

However, for music via stereo amp, I have the roll-off frequency on my REL set to complement my front speakers (Full range, connected by Hi-level).

REL subs let you bypass the frequency roll-off setting for low-level LFE connection, whilst keeping it in the Hi-level path. So the AV amp bass management has full control over the sub output when it needs too, but in stereo, the hi-level feed is rolled off around 40 Hz.

I don't think the BK subs let you do this. Doesn't the sub crossover affect BOTH high and low level feeds? Don't think you can have the crossover filter in the high-level path but not the LFE. Anyone, Is that correct?

I ask, because I fancy swapping my Rel for a BK, but don't want to fiddle round the back of my sub every time I switch from using the hi/low inputs.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's correct for the XLS200, not caused an issue for me but I see what you are getting at.

I think the new Gemini has separate crossovers for Hi/Lo. Not sure on the Monolith, don't think it has...PJ

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    so theres a reason to go with REL over BK...heh......independant control!!!..lol

7. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJ,
    so how do you make this work with your BK XLS200?
    Do you set the crossover on the sub?

Knyght_byte,
    I hear what you're saying. :rotfl:
    I did say I was wanting to swap the REL for a BK, just worrying about how to set it up!

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes I have it set on the sub at around the half way mark - any higher and it gets a bit much, any lower and it gets a bit quiet.

I "calibrated" (technical term for fiddled about with it until I was happy :) ) the crossover primarily for AV but it works beautifully for the separate HiFi system too. Maybe I'm a heathen but I don't touch the back panel of the sub now other than to switch it on. I do adjust the sub volume via my AV amp occasionally, that's about it really...PJ

9. edddie_veddder

edddie_veddder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hello Horrabin, and any other monalith owners out there!. Just ordered one of these and should be here in a week or so. How did you get on with your set up?. I intend to use the low level set up, with the cross over set on the amp to 80 hz and take it from there. Any advice?. cheers.