Using Black Wi-Fi Discs With New Sky Hub

Thunderpants

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently changed my isp to Sky and previously had bt with three of the black Wi-Fi discs, unfortunately I know have dead spots in the house. Is it possible to use the bt discs with the sky router and if it can be done would anyone be so kind to guide me through what to do.

Thanks

Black discs won't work with anything other than BT Smart Hubs.

Edit - though it might be worth trying to connect via WPS, you never know.

@
Hi, I have recently changed my isp to Sky and previously had bt with three of the black Wi-Fi discs, unfortunately I know have dead spots in the house. Is it possible to use the bt discs with the sky router and if it can be done would anyone be so kind to guide me through what to do.

Thanks
I have just done the same thing and was wondering if the BT disc worked and if so did you have to do anything special

Thanks

The black discs work fine if you keep the BT Smart Hub. The BT hub is effectively the first "master" disc (BT white discs have the first disc as master)

You just turn off dhcp on the BT hub & change its ip address if necessary.

I am using another ISP. I set my new router to 192.168.1.1, leaving the BT hub on 192.168.1.254. Switched off dhcp on the BT hub. Ran an ethernet cable from port 1 of new router to port 1 on the BT hub (NOT the WAN port) and all works well. Moved the BT hub to the bottom of the house with powerline adapters which allowed me to move one of the discs.

Last edited:
As the previous post confirms, if you disable the DHCP server on the BT Hub, only make connections using the ethernet LAN ports (so have nothing connected to the WAN port) and set its IP address to a suitable compatible value for your network, you are effectively turning it into a network switch and wifi mesh controller/access point like any other consumer-grade mesh wifi system running in “Access Point” mode rather than “Router” mode. The BT Hub may complain about the lack of internet service on its WAN connection when you log into its browser control panel or use the App (I have not used BT routers this way so cannot be sure), but this should not cause any issues in use.

For completeness you would then turn off wifi in the ISP-supplied router that is now the main router for your setup.

As the previous post confirms, if you disable the DHCP server on the BT Hub, only make connections using the ethernet LAN ports (so have nothing connected to the WAN port) and set its IP address to a suitable compatible value for your network, you are effectively turning it into a network switch and wifi mesh controller/access point like any other consumer-grade mesh wifi system running in “Access Point” mode rather than “Router” mode. The BT Hub may complain about the lack of internet service on its WAN connection when you log into its browser control panel or use the App (I have not used BT routers this way so cannot be sure), but this should not cause any issues in use.

For completeness you would then turn off wifi in the ISP-supplied router that is now the main router for your setup.
Should add I turned the firewall off on the BT hub but shouldn't actually be required.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom