• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Using Bi-wiring for single speakers

laputacake

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to use bi wiring on a normal 2 post speaker? If so would I just use a pair from the Bi wiring or would I experience a downgrade in audio quality.

Thanks

gibbsy

You cannot bi-wire a two post speaker. There is little point even bi-wiring a bi-wireable speaker as there is very little to be gained unless you are using both a high end amp and speaker combination.

laputacake

You cannot bi-wire a two post speaker. There is little point even bi-wiring a bi-wireable speaker as there is very little to be gained unless you are using both a high end amp and speaker combination.
I don't have a Bi wiring amp. All it is, is that I have some bi wiring cable from yonks back I never used. So i was wondering if i could just use the HF+ and HF- pair to run a normal speaker and amp.

gibbsy

Any amp can bi-wire if the speaker has the relevant four binding posts. All bi-wiring is is separating the high and low signals. At the amp end both wires would use the plus and minus binding posts as usual. They would them be separated into the four binding posts on the speaker with the jumper bar removed therefore separating the two frequencies.

As I've said you cannot and should not use four wires into the standard two post speaker.

You may be getting confused with bi-amping where two seperates amps are used to power a single speaker, one for the high and one for the low frequencies into a four post speaker. This is the only time that speaker performance can be improved.

You have single posed speakers, don't mess around.;)

clived

I think gibbsy may have missed the actual question - the OP is asking if he can use his biwire cable on his current set up. Whilst gibbsy would have you throwing it away ;) you can indeed use just one "half" of the cable, or you could just double it up - connect both the LF and HF pairs to the single set of posts at amp and speaker ends. It'll work fine.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As above you can use a single or two 'strands' between the Amp +/- and the Bi-wire posts on the Speakers - if you do 'double up' ensure there is no chance of any bare wires touching at the amp, some folk would want to use 'stackable' 4mm banana plugs for safety.

Joe

gibbsy

I think gibbsy may have missed the actual question - the OP is asking if he can use his biwire cable on his current set up. Whilst gibbsy would have you throwing it away ;) you can indeed use just one "half" of the cable, or you could just double it up - connect both the LF and HF pairs to the single set of posts at amp and speaker ends. It'll work fine.
Perhaps I didn't see the wood for the trees. I have used bi-wired cable as singles before. All I did was cut the green and the blue ones back to the main sleeve and taped them in. It was Audioquest Slip 14/4 that I blagged when I bought my KEF speakers. The worry for me would be stray wires when trying to bare wire into either amp or speaker because of the obvious thickness involved.

I would just use the red and black and safely tape the other two up.

AUDFLXSLIP-main.jpg

stevelup

Distinguished Member
You're wasting half the cable cross-section then. You might as well just run two cores into each terminal.

gibbsy

You're wasting half the cable cross-section then. You might as well just run two cores into each terminal.

Depends on how much room you have to work with. I discounted the idea because of the very limited space between the binding posts on my Denon AVR 6200. The fixing keep loosening with just the single wire connection so I had to turn to banana plugs. Only real complaint I have against the Denon, the binding posts are hard to bare wire.

It's something I suppose I could have contemplated with my Rega Elicit-R but I blagged terminated single Chord Clearway with that purchase. I do love blagging cable.:smashin:

laputacake

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up just getting some amazon basics wiring. It's good to know I can use it in the future as I could easily pair up the positive pair and negative pair.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom