Using bi-amp mode to power 2 sets of speakers ?

thestellaman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to find a workaround to the "analogue only" for zone 2 with my Arcam 380. Is there any reason why I can't use channels 6&7 in bi-amp mode but attach the speaker wires to a separate second set of speakers ? There is no requirement for separate volume control. As far as I know this should be sending a full range signal via independent amplifier channels. But I don't want to be a dumbo and ruin my new amp if I have missed some understanding.

Thanks in hopeful anticipation.

Just to clarify, this is for the purpose of listening to 2 channel, setting the amp to down mix to stereo where required.

The amplification would be indeed the same as that associated with the front terminals, but the same bass management applied to the conventional front channels and the main front speakers would also be applied to the output of the back channels when assigned for biamping with. If you are using bass management in association with the front speakers then the same bass management is applied to the audio from the back terminals. There's only one subwoofer and this can only be configured for us with the main speakers in the scenario you suggest. There's also no way to select between the audio associated with the front terminals and that associated with the back terminals so there's therefore no way to choose between which pair of speakers you want to use and you'd have no option but to use both simultaneously.

Thanks Dante01,

I don't think those are an issue. I only manually configure my sub as present when I decide I want it in, most of the time for bog stock tv viewing I do without. And simultaneous is fine too, I just want still hear the footy, or the net radio, or streamed music, when I go into the other room. Just wanted to get the thoughts out of my head for sanity checking ;-) Just done it, the amp hasn't blown up yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom