Using B&W 602 fronts, need suggestions for remaining surround speakers!!! HELP!!

doubled

Standard Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong section...First post.

I have recently got my hands on some B&W 602 S1 speakers and will be buying a Onkyo TX-SR606 very soon and bi-amping the 602s as the L+R speakers. The problem I have is that the set up will be in my bedroom and I have enough space to plonk the 602s on some Atacama stands but not much room in the way of space for the centre and rear surrounds (sub is already positioned).

My question is, would it be a good idea to buy a pair of KEF eggs for the rear surrounds and KEF egg for the centre speaker whilst using the B&Ws for the L+R front?? (I'm picking KEF eggs as an example because reviews seem to be pretty good and they take up very little space!!)

OR, would it sound like a pile of smelly pants?

Any suggestions welcome, the 602s sound superb and I don't want to ruin them by making a poor choice for the rest of the speakers.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
In a space that small, don't bother with a centre speaker; As there's no gap to fill in in the middle and you can't sit far enough off axis to require the centre to lock the sound to the centre of the screen, what's the point.

Eggs will do fine as a compact surround speaker - Try pointing them at the ceiling to diffuse the surround effects, otherwise it'll be like wearing headphones.

Russell

doubled

Standard Member
thanks for the response,

if i don't use a centre speaker won't i lack most/all of the speech/vocals? i would say that there is enough distance between the 602s to warrant a centre speaker....just wasn't sure what to go for?

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
thanks for the response,

if i don't use a centre speaker won't i lack most/all of the speech/vocals? i would say that there is enough distance between the 602s to warrant a centre speaker....just wasn't sure what to go for?
You won't loose anything; The center channel signal will simply be divided as a mono signal between the front L&R speakers.

I do have the room for a centre, but don't always use it - some things sound better with it turned off.

Either way, I certainly wouldn't use a tiny satellite between the B&Ws. It'll sound so different it will stick out like a sore thumb and will quite likely sound worse as it gets swamped by the more capable main speakers.

Russell

cribeiro

i would say that there is enough distance between the 602s to warrant a centre speaker....

What is the distance between the speakers, and what is the distance from the listening position to either of them?

Check if the Onkyo applies DRC (dynamic range compression) when no center speaker is connected. If you can't turn it up loud it probably won't matter, but if you want to enjoy movies with full dynamic range, it may be a problem. My Denon does apply DRC when no center is attached, regardless of the DRC setting I make on the amp.

RichardG

thanks for the response,

You'll just need to tell your amp you've got no centre, but if it's an auto setup the amp will work it out for itself!

I don't think you'll miss the centre from what you've said about room size...

doubled

Standard Member
thanks guys.

i've just had a look and i reckon i can JUST about squeeze in a b&w cc6 centre (if i can get hold of one!!) but i have got no chance as far as rear surrounds are concerned so do you think a pair of 2005.2 eggs would suffice?

more input welcome from anybody!!

cribeiro

thanks guys.

i've just had a look and i reckon i can JUST about squeeze in a b&w cc6 centre (if i can get hold of one!!) but i have got no chance as far as rear surrounds are concerned so do you think a pair of 2005.2 eggs would suffice?

Yep. Forget the center, two eggs for the rear will be ok, as Russ.will told you (follow his advice regarding positioning).

DolbyDan

thanks guys.

You can get 3005 eggs from Superfi for £150, which are better than the 2005.2s and cheaper

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom