1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using ATA and IDE

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nfordenfield, Nov 18, 2003.

1. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need half a terrabit of hdd to complete my dvd/cd collection.

My mobo has four ide (one used for dvd) and a pair of ATA's, does this mean that I can have 5 hdd's? Any issues with assign one as the boot device?

I've seen some external firewire, ethernet or USB2 hdd as well, which are getting alot cheaper.

Which is better, excluding raid for the moment.

Externals will allow movement of LARGE files, but cost is an option aswell.

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone confirm the transfer rates as well.

Is USB 2 440mb/sec

Firewire do not knwo

ATA 150 = 150mb/sec

If this is correct why have internal HDD's?

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I do know that USB2 and firewire external drives are still slower than IDE hard disks so I assume that the numbers quoted are different measurements. I'll try and find more info.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    USB 1.1 = 12Mb/s (1.5MB/s)
    USB 2 = 480Mb/s(60MB/s)
    1394 (Firewire) = 400Mb/s (50MB/s)
    P-ATA (IDE) = 133MB/s
    S-ATA = 150MB/s.

So SATA is 2.5x faster than USB 2.

.............IIRC :D

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    s-ata is it then

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The only problem with not "raiding" straight away is that its difficult to do it later if you want to.

I recently tried a Highpoint raid 5 card from Scan for about £65 which is fine. Just uses one drive for redundency. they do serial or ata versions.

Why do you need so much speed. Even slow ide drives are quick enough to play 3 consequetive streams across a network. Serial ata will just cost more and produce more heat.

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Also consider what case will house a bunch of drives and how to keep them all cool.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't have such storagwe asperations, but external storage avoids internal cooling and general noise issues and allows temporary use of those spare hard disks as plug-in media space.

I sust bought the cheap external USB2 ATA adapter from maplin.co.uk. It includes a mains transformer to power the HDD/writer plus a small power feed to the large IDE connector. No cover or base for the connected drive though.

I also bought a 3+2 USB2 PCI card for the samel price, but didn't realise the 3 front bays are floppy disk width and the short USB2 IDE adapter USB2 cable wont reach, so the removable drive currently gets stuffed behind the desktop PC.

It gives quite good actul transfer speeds of 8-10MB/sec on to an old 30GB maxtor HD. I think the USB1/1.1 fall-back compatibility speed should give a max 1.5MB/sec on machines that don't have high-speed USB2.

I like the ability to hot plug in mass storage when needed on any PC.

One unexpected bonus is that Norton Ghost 2003 includes USB2 drivers under the Advanced Boot disk creator and so can even write on to an NTFS partition on the USB2 external hard disk while in virtual DOS mode.

cheers,
    Rob.

9. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Only thinking ata, as if large hdd, say 250gb, it may see 3 plus access on the network, using this for HCPC and work.

Just wanted a cheap and stable storage solution that allows max use of a dvd library. Have 6 films on 3rd equal partition of a 120 gb IDE hdd and am running out of room. As it only takes 20mins to decrypt to HDD, not that worried about raid if less than 125gb drives. BUT as 300gb are out now, this would take for ever to rebuild, as 50+ dvd's - 24hrs at least - mind you it take as long to format:suicide:

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Nathan,

If your thinking work wise as well then definitly a bit of redundency wouldn't go amiss for the sake of the cost of an extra drive and a hardware card like the highpoint one. They are not hard to set up and I can lend a hand if you like. Give me a bell tomorrow if you want to discuss it a bit.

Cheers

11. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got two 160gb Maxtor's in a S-ATA RAID 0 array in my Vapo using the Intel ICH5R chipset. Man it shifts.