Question Using AppleTV with Yamaha RX-V681

JaseR

Novice Member
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V681 receiver and a Samsung 55" LED tv (Model: UN55KU7000FXZA). My contractor was a "professional AV" installer. AppleTV is connected to zone 1 and the cable box is connected to zone 2 with 5.1 surround. I use zone 2 90% of the time and zone 1 only 10%. If zone 1 isn't used for while (days) and I try switching from zone 2 to 1, the receiver displays zone 1 appletv, but won't send the signal to the tv. The only solution I've found is to unplug the receiver for a few minutes and then plug it back in. This allows me to switch back and forth between the zones.

Is this an issue with the receiver? AppleTv? Do I need to swap the zones and make appletv2 zone 2? According to the contractor he selected this 2 zone receiver so appletv could be played on zone 1 while the tv is running on zone 2.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I;m not clear on what you mean by the references to zones you've made? You'd connect all devices to the HDMI inputs on the receiver and there;s no ability to output multichannel audio to an additional zone. You can only output a stereo audio signal to an additional zone.

You can select any source for the second zone audio irrespective of how it is connected to the receiver, but the second zone source's output from the receiver is 2 channel audio only:

snapshot001.jpg

Your TV needs to be connected to the receiver's HDMI output and used in the main room.

Also note, only Analog audio sources (including FM/AM radio), and Bluetooth, USB, and network sources can be output to Zone2. To listen to the playback of an external device in Zone2, you need to connect the device to the AUDIO jacks (AV 5-6 or AUDIO 1-2 jacks) of the unit. The party mode (p.91) allows you to play back the same audio output in Main zone as Zone2, whatever the input audio signal type. You cannot output audio sourced via either HDMI or S/PDIF to the second zone.

Last edited:

JaseR

Novice Member
My error. AppleTV is connected to HDMI 1 and the cablebox is connected to HDMI 2. We use zone 2 for additional speakers in the kitchen and outdoor patio when needed. The TV is connected to the receiver's HDMI output.

Scenario: I'm watching tv on HDMI 2. I want to switch to AppleTV. I turn on the AppleTV and press HDMI 1 on the remote. The receiver switches to HDMI 1 AppleTV and the tv quickly displays "Input AppleTV" and then immediately switches to "No Signal, Apple TV HDMI 3. (1) check the cable connection and the settings of that source device. (2) Press SOURCE button below to select a connected source."

Maybe the issue isn't with the receiver, it's with the new Samsung TV. The TV source should always be Receiver as I always run appletv through the receiver and not directly to the tv. The tv is now showing the source as AppleTV. I'm not sure why the error message thinks AppleTv is on HDMI 3.

I read on an apple forum that the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) feature on Samsung doesn't always understand the commands and may make changes to inputs behind the scenes.

Attachments

• appletv.jpg
    appletv.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 102
  • error.jpg
    error.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 98

dante01

Distinguished Member
Which HDMI input on the TV is the AV receiver connected to?

Try turning OFF HDMI Control onboard the AppleTV.

JaseR

Novice Member
I think the receiver is connected to HDMI 3 on the tv. It's an ultra slim mount so I can't really see the input labels. The inputs are vertical and it's connected to the 3rd input from the top.

I tried turning the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Off on the tv and this didn't solve the problem.

What do you mean by "turning OFF HDMI Control onboard the AppleTV." I can't find this option on the Appletv menu. Under Reomtes and Devices I have "control tv and receivers" set to Off.

FWIW, I had to unplug the receiver and plug it back in for AppleTv to work.

This was an article from 2015 on AppleTV4 not working well with HDMI-CEC.
Read this if your new Apple TV is messing up your TV or receiver

Thanks for your guidance--it's greatly appreciated!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Adjust HDMI-CEC and volume settings on an Apple TV
In Settings > Remotes and Devices, you can choose the following:
  • Control TVs and Receivers
  • Volume Control: Decide which devices remote will control the volume

If you've already tried turning off Anynet+ on the TV without is resolving the issue then I doubt turning off HDMI Control onboard the Apple TV will resolve it either? HDMI Control is the common term given to HDMI CEC. Anynet+ is Samsung's implementation of HDMI CEC.

JaseR

Novice Member
Thanks again for your advice. I'll try turning off HDMI CEC on the samsung again and see what happens. I had it turned off, then on, and now it's off again.

JimboH

Thanks again for your advice. I'll try turning off HDMI CEC on the samsung again and see what happens. I had it turned off, then on, and now it's off again.
Also I think you will need to be careful with the order in which each part of your system is powered on, experiment turning things on in a different order.

I have a receiver from the same range and use a harmony hub/remote, and I found I had the same problem as you are describing until I changed the order on which things came in and added a short delay to the activities.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI CEC - ensure it is disabled (Off) on all connected devices.

AVR > TV - with the AVR in Home or Setup mode (which will throw up an onscreen menu) simply toggle through the TV Inputs to confirm which Input on the TV it is connected to.

AVR Remote - try using the HDMI Out On/Off toggle on the remote after you have selected the ATV4 as the Input, that may force the system to re-handshake.

ATV4 - are you waking it up before you select it as the active Source on the AVR?

As JimboH points out the order you take devices In/Out of Standby and select a Source can make a big difference when it comes to trouble free operation with HDMI.

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think that to be something I failed to suggest. Make sure that the Apple TV is actually powered up and not still in standby.

JaseR

Novice Member
Also I think you will need to be careful with the order in which each part of your system is powered on, experiment turning things on in a different order.

I have a receiver from the same range and use a harmony hub/remote, and I found I had the same problem as you are describing until I changed the order on which things came in and added a short delay to the activities.

Any suggestions on which order to power up? Normally I'm using the cable box on HDMI 2, but if I power on appletv and then switch to HDMI 1 on the receiver (by remote), then I get the error message. I think the TV is trying to switch to HDMI 3 (not sure why, since appletv and cable box is connected through the receiver). Perhaps if I want to switch I should power everything down first then power up appletv, receiver then tv.

JaseR

Novice Member
HDMI CEC - ensure it is disabled (Off) on all connected devices.

AVR > TV - with the AVR in Home or Setup mode (which will throw up an onscreen menu) simply toggle through the TV Inputs to confirm which Input on the TV it is connected to.

AVR Remote - try using the HDMI Out On/Off toggle on the remote after you have selected the ATV4 as the Input, that may force the system to re-handshake.

ATV4 - are you waking it up before you select it as the active Source on the AVR?

As JimboH points out the order you take devices In/Out of Standby and select a Source can make a big difference when it comes to trouble free operation with HDMI.

Joe

I see there's a HDMI Out button on the remote. I'll give that a try next time. I'll also experiment with the power down/up sequence when switching from cable box (hdmi 2) to appletv (hdmi 1).

I was worried there was a flaw the receiver or the samsung tv, but it sounds like a mix of user error (I'm an audio dummy) and electronics that are trying to outsmart me :)

JimboH

Any suggestions on which order to power up? Normally I'm using the cable box on HDMI 2, but if I power on appletv and then switch to HDMI 1 on the receiver (by remote), then I get the error message. I think the TV is trying to switch to HDMI 3 (not sure why, since appletv and cable box is connected through the receiver). Perhaps if I want to switch I should power everything down first then power up appletv, receiver then tv.

I see there's a HDMI Out button on the remote. I'll give that a try next time. I'll also experiment with the power down/up sequence when switching from cable box (hdmi 2) to appletv (hdmi 1).

I was worried there was a flaw the receiver or the samsung tv, but it sounds like a mix of user error (I'm an audio dummy) and electronics that are trying to outsmart me :)

I thought I had issues with my receiver, you aren't alone!

To be honest I had to set it up differently depending on the device; my HTPC needed to be on before the receiver but the Xbox after. I would experiment and see what works best

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom