Using anthem ARC with 2 subs

koraldon

Standard Member
I have bought a MRX720 and I really like it - an amazing piece of kit.
Today I have tried to add my older SVS Sub, a SB12-NSD to my new sub - SVS SB2000. Both of them are on the front wall, between the center and the front speakers.
However, using the quick measure I got the following results:
1-SB2000-2-SB12-3-both.jpg

Purple line is the SB2000 by itself, Blue is SB12-NSD by itself and green line is both together.
It can be seen that the frequency response is just worst with the two subs together rather than the SB2000 alone.
After ARC correction, The SB2000 has better response than both together.
I got the same result when listening - two subs together are slightly more powerful, but it sounds less detailed and lacking compared to the SB2000 by itself.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing, or is it something that other people encountered as well - I thought about one sube moving to the rear wall, but don't have a long enough Cable and long term it would not get the WAF...

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
The issue is you have them too close together to benefit from a multi sub setup (more even response, filling in the null) and too far apart to benefit from collocation (higher spl, more headroom). Add to that what differences there are between the subs and you get the result of preferring one over the other and running it solo.

To really benefit from the older sub you'd need to position it in the room such that it lifts that giant 50Hz null. Then EQ both flat or to your preferred house curve.

If you only have one location then get rid of both and get a beefier sub that can extend lower and with more authority than the SB2000. However at some point you'd want to address that 50hz region even if that means you have to buy her a new handbag.

sanjualf

sometimes if placement is not correct you may end up in worse scenario with two subs. The advantage with quick measure is you can experiment with various places and choose a placement with the best combined response you can get ( ie both are completing each other) and not often they are either side of your front speakers which is the most common place people put their dual subs. Once you have found a good combined quick measure response then you can start your ARC calibration afterwards

Hoku

I wonder if I might piggy back this thread please.

I’m looking at how I might integrate two new subs in my system. However I have just one subwoofer LFE output on my MRX710.

So in terms of connections, I was thinking of one RCA to first sub, then daisy chain to a second.

At present, I just have one subwoofer in the front right hand corner, and I have my AV rack in the front left corner. My intention was to relocate my AV rack to where my coffee table is at the rear of the room and place the second subwoofer where the AV rack was in the front left corner. (Room is 3.7m sofa wall to screen wall and 4.5m other measurement).

My question is really about ARC. If I connect two subs as mentioned above, will ARC be able to integrate both subs even though my MRX710 is only designed for the one sub? They would both be the same distance from the sofa, but I didn’t know whether adding two subs would confuse it, particularly with regard to timing.

3D207FF5-8C1B-49BE-9BFB-FA1FB7E27442.jpeg

62AC584C-D5B5-422A-86F1-3C6DCD4A3F17.jpeg

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
ARC will see both subs as one so it'll eq the combined response. Not a bad raw response as it goes according to a quick room simulation.

A few options if daisy chaining isn't satisfactory (as I've found on some subs it can negatively impact the signal):

1. get a 2 way splitter, something of the cable variety: Amazon product
2. MiniDSP 2x4HD, granted a more expensive option but you can adjust delay etc of individual subs to perfection, add further subs and it leaves options open for future ventures e.g. BEQ, MSO etc.

john01707

Hi, I've just move both my subs to a new position, half way down the room on opposite sides facing themselves. there hooked up to my Anthem Avm 60's subs out. the arc see's them as one sub but the corrected results are superb.

Hoku

Hi, I've just move both my subs to a new position, half way down the room on opposite sides facing themselves. there hooked up to my Anthem Avm 60's subs out. the arc see's them as one sub but the corrected results are superb.
Can I ask what you do about phase?

And, in addition to ARC, do you make any additional adjustments on the subs themselves?

john01707

Hi, with regard to the phase i used an spl meter and adjusted the phase until it showed the highest db. im not and expert in these things but got it from the Audioholics website, it seems to have worked. I have attached a copy of my arc results, the sub readings seem pretty good to me. they cetainly sound good anyway.

Attachments

• arc measurments 22:5:21.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 26

john01707

Just to add, before moving the subs into the position there in now i had one Svs pb16 Ultra and could not get it into a sweet spot. then i went down the dual route and placed them in the current position, this seems to have worked really well for me.

Hoku

Just to add, before moving the subs into the position there in now i had one Svs pb16 Ultra and could not get it into a sweet spot. then i went down the dual route and placed them in the current position, this seems to have worked really well for me.
Thank you for the details John. Much appreciated.

it’s really helpful getting as many real-world examples in your mind before tackling something similar yourself.

john01707

Thanks.your welcome

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom