Using and exernal de-interlacer / scaler with a CRT TV

cwinson

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade my CRT TV to one which takes progressive component in (576p and 480p). Probably going for a Panasonic PD30.

Wondering whether I should get a decent component switcher (e.g. Zektor) to drive both the CRT TV and my TW100 PJ, or try to do something a bit more clever.

Toying with the idea of getting an Iscan HD (or similar), with DVI output (720p) to the PJ and progressive component out to the CRT TV (576p/480p) - Note: exact switch mechanism with this setup to be confirmed.

If I go down this route, I'll be looking to de-interlace my Sky+ signal in the de-interlacer for input into the TV. A good amount of this will be sport.

So, here's the question - is it worth deinterlacing a 'sport' style program for input into a CRT device (TV), or is it better left alone as an interlaced signal ? I'm obviously not forced into making a decision, as with a fixed panel display.

Has anyone tried this before ? Is it worth it ? Am I going mad ?

Chris

why not get one of the JVC HDTV's (bargain prices!)? They dont have tuners but you dont need one..... then you can feed from a good processor straight into it at high res....

ad

Toying with the idea of getting an Iscan HD (or similar), with DVI output (720p) to the PJ and progressive component out to the CRT TV (576p/480p) - Note: exact switch mechanism with this setup to be confirmed.

Careful! I don't know about the iScan HD, but the iScan Ultra will only output DVI or RGB/Component. It won't provide both simultaneously.

gmt steve,

I won't necessarily need both output simultaneously, but will need to switch as required - either by remote macros or Display Profiles (if/when supported).

Not sure at this stage exactly how it'll work, but will obviously get this 100% confirmed before parting with £1k.

At the moment, I'm just trying to get my head around the benefits (if any) of de-interlacing non-'film' material for input into a CRT TV.

Presumably someone has tried this now that progressive capable CRT TVs (e.g. Panny, Toshiba, JVC - thanks buns.., Thomson etc.) are available ?

Chris

the JVC is more than a progressive capable tv..... it is a true HDTV which none of the others you are considering are

ad

buns,

Do you know if the JVC is properly HDTV compatible? Specifically, does it display 720p with 720 discrete lines & 1280 horizontal resolution

Some suggestion that the horizontal resolution is correct but not the vertical.

Chris

I know a man who can probably tell me, I will get back to you on that.....

ad

I know that no CRT set can display true HD, which is 1080i in the States. The reason is the shadow mask behind the screen face that all direct view CRTs need to work; it's impossible to make the holes small enough. Back Projection CRTs don't need a shadow mask and so are HD capable (if so spec'd of course).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom