1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an xbox to connect pc to tv

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jasi, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I’ve been looking for a cheap way to use my computer for home theatre and have found quite a bit of info on networking PCs and Xboxs together. This would be ideal since the xbox outputs RGB and digital sound and sits right next to the tv. All you need to connect them is a crossover cable. Doing a softmod on the xbox is actually quite easy and it means you don’t have to mess around with the xbox or void the warranty; I’m planning to install Linux on it. Anyway, I’m going to try it out and see if I can stream some recorded tv to the xbox or maybe even play it directly.

I was wondering if anybody else does this? Any knowledge or opinions welcome! :)

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you will need myth tv for linux. I find GentooX to be the most funtional linux out there for xbox, although Media Centre Edition of Gentoox is not bad either..

3. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks very much. I think I'll give the media centre edition a whirl. I don't know much about myth tv, do you mean that I would need it installed both on the pc and the xbox? The recording would of course take place on the pc so I assume that myth tv on the xbox would be to stream it from the pc?? Thanks for the help!

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why use Linux? Xbox Mediacentre (XBMC) will do this fine on a softmodded box?

5. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    great, does that mean I can use XBMC without using linux on the xbox? I'm halfway through downloading linux but guess I won't need it anymore then. I didn't realise XBMC had networking functions. Thanks very much!