Using an unlocked Huawei E220

bxf999

Standard Member
Reaction score
I previously had an E220 from operator A (I'm in Europe, but not in the UK). By installing firmware from the Huawei site, I unlocked the modem, and I was subsequently able to dial in to operator B, using a phone number and generic userid/password found somewhere on the web.

The question is: since I was using a SIM card from operator A, but using operator B's network, where does money/payment come into the picture? If my contract with operator A specifies some usage limitations, who is going to enforce them? And, does all this mean that I can use the modem overseas for free (assuming, of course, that I'd be able to find a phone number and userid/password appropriate for the country I'm in)?

Thanks for any input.

Charges will be from the network who's sim you are using.

Yes, you will pay the call charges to dial Operator B, this will probably be at a higher rate than a voice call (depending who Operator A is). However, you will only get dial-up speeds. For 3G/HSDPA speed you will need a SIM from Operator B and details of their APN.

Funny how things become obvious once you know the answer:) Of course, it behaves just like a normal cell phone behaves - you pay your operator, regardless of whom you call.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom