Using an integrated amp as a power amp?

rowlandhills

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Sony STR-DB930 which I've had for the last five years or so, driving a pair of Linn Keilidh's, a Centrik and Kans for rears. I'm moving house later this summer, and plan to install some fitted AV kit (new plasma, in-wall Sekrits for rear/centre, and multi-room) which will include a new amplifier/decoder. I'm probably going to go for a Linn AV5103 with a AV5125 power amp, but I won't be buying any of this until we've got the house and I've worked out how much cash I have left to play with.

That said, I may have an opportunity to pick up an AV5103 (which is a processor and pre-amp, for those that don't know) cheaply soon, and I was wondering whether I could connect it to my Sony receiver until I get round to sorting a proper power amp. The trouble is, the Sony doesn't have pre-amp inputs, only pre-amp outputs. It does have a "5.1 Channel Input" in the form of six phono sockets.

Could I connect the AV5103 to the Sony like this? Would it be a very bad idea? If I do do this, should I set the volume on the AV5103 to max, and use the Sony Volume control, or vice-versa, or both to 50% and then vary whichever I feel like? :lease: help!

I don't think you would just be using the power amp section of the Sony as you planned.

I think you will find that the signal received at the 5.1 analogue input will also be processed through the Sony Pre-Amp.

IMHO, you will not be gaining anything by connecting the Linn this way. It will always be held back by the pre-amp section of the Sony.

Thanks Harry_T2. It would only be a temporary measure, but my understanding is that the 5.1 input on the Sony bypasses all of the digital processing, so although it would be acting as a preamp still, I suspect it would sound better than using the Sony decoding. Any opinion?

I am not familiar with either amp. But from my experience, most AV amp (even in) analogue mode do some digital processing.

If the Linn is cheap enough, I don't see any reason not to experiment with it. You want be doing any harm to either item while you save for the power amp.

The 930 is well known for its power amp section and should do quite well for a stop gap till you get a real power amp.
I used to have a 930 and changed it for a 1080 the 930 blows the 1080 out of the water power wise.

Anyone got any suggestions as to whether I should go full volume on the Linn and use the Sony volume control, full volume on the Sony and use the Linn volume control, or 50% on both and then fiddle?

You should use the linn's volume control but the sony's volume will have to be tweeked ,try about half volume and control with the linn.

I can't help you directly but can tell my experience with a similar set-up

I'm looking out for a fine power amp and for the time using 'the better' pre/processor (TAG AV32R) on my current receiver (a NAD T752).

With the NAD it is possible to skip the pre-amp stage and connect the pre-amplified signal coming from the pre/processor, so the signal will not be amplified twice. But, NAD only has 3 channels available for this...

So I'm using my stereo integrated amp (Cyrus 7) for my fronts which is getting the output from the TAG. This signal is thus amplified twice: the output can hardly be better than what the Cyrus alone would put out. And when comparing (connected my cd player digitally to the TAG and the analog signal is sent to the cyrus directly), I hear a difference and like the sound of the CD to Cyrus better, it seems more 'solid'. (The volume is indeed halfway, so watch out when switching :eek: )

With surround I do notice the better processing of the TAG :thumbsup:

But, I don not know if the Sony 930 will have the seem feature as the NAD has. If it has, you will notice thedifference as an advantage with the better pre/pro.

Hmmm...well, I've solved my problem...by buying an AV5125 power amp from the same guy I'm getting the AV5103 from!

Picking them up on Friday, so now I just need to work out how I can explain to my wife that I've bought a power amp as well as a processor, when she didn't see why I needed either! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom