1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an HTPC in 854x480? or 1024x576?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dancingmatt, May 11, 2005.

1. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi PC users

Do any of you use a 854x480, 1024x576 or 1024x768 resolution projector with your entertainment PC?

I'm looking to buy my first projector to accompany my home-built music, gaming and DVD PC, so I can project PC games and PAL DVDs, perhaps surf the net from the sofa a bit (and later, telly off a DVB card or such like, but not yet). I've read lots of PJ reviews with regard to home cinema, but not a lot about just using a PC on a low res projector.

You see unfortunately my budget is fairly limited :( I have about £600 I can spend and that doesn't seem to be enough to get a PJ of 1024x768 native resolution. I can't imagine just generally day-to-day-using my PC in anything lower than 1024x768 on a monitor, surely on a PJ it's even blockier/worse?

So what's it like watching films, playing PC games, even just using a desktop on a PJ at 854x480, 1024x576 or 1024x768 for that matter? Am I wasting my money? Should I save up £200 more and get a dearer one?

But there must be people totally happy at lower native resolutions - so I'd gratefully appreciate any thoughts and experiences you can share...

Thanks
    DM

2. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,198
    I have an SD Plasma AND DLP 852x480 PJ and both are running off my HTPC

MY HTPC now has an Nvidia 6600 card (just upgraded from a visibly inferior Ati 9600). I have my plasma on VGA as its anlogue only and DVI-D out to the PJ

The PJ is the Benq5120. Its a DLP so you would need to test whether you see rainbows or not. PQ over DVI at 7 feet wide on the benq is excellent. It cost me £600 with a free Xbox from Dabs and I'm VERY impressed with the quality. I'd take a look on projector Central and the LCD/DLP forum here for reviews and info

Dont get too hung up on 1:1 pixel mapping from your HTPC tho. For both devices I've found I get a superior picture if I upscale on the HTPC from DVD or SKY+ to 600p or 720p and let the SD device scale back to its native res. It tends to remove a lot of "blocky-ness" and smooth edges.

BTW - IMO its worth spending more on how you feed the signal into your HTPC. I use Sweetspot and a SCART/RGBs cable - if i feed it via S-vid the quality is much poorer on both output devices !!

Hope that helps

EDIT: The above refers to watching video/film which the PJ is designed for. Its not that great for text, although web browsing is bearable

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I use 854 x 480 with my AE100 for 1:1 pixel mapping. I change to 800 x 600 if I want to do any computer stuff on the PJ.

4. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn it I've just created a new thread on a similar topic. Anyhow I've been using a panny 100 with pixel mapping at 856 x 480 but I have to say I'm seeing better results with 1024 x 768. I don't know why, when I first acheived PM I thought it was a major upgrade am I going crackers?

5. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,198

no you're not. See my post above. I've seen other peeps post the same as well :)

6. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is I thought that pixel for pixel was supposed to be optimum. Mind you when I first tried PMapping last September when I built my first HTPC I originally was just using it for DVD's via Powerdvd player and at that time it was far superior to 600 x 800 (ah maybe that's it!) Since then I'm using dscaler and theatertek. Anyhow I totally agree with your observations with sky far less blocking and seemingly better contrast ?. It's a funny old game this malarkey.
    Another benficial effect was better colour saturation. But that begs the question should we be using powerstrip to up the resolution? and then let the panny scale it down?

Lawrence.

If Rob Dear is out there...how are you?