Using an HCPC with DScaler to solve the Sky HD issue for Panny Plasmas

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andyatkins, Jan 31, 2005.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the feasibility of the following. I have a 6 series Panasonic 42" HD Plasma & anticipate I want to get the Sky HD service in 2006 when its available. The problem is Sky have confirmed their set-top box will output 720p HD signals @ 50Hz & the Panny only accepts 60Hz.

So I need to do an FRC from 50 to 60Hz but want to minimise or ideally eliminate any judder - & yes I am a Footie fan so I understand the camera movements are more susceptable than say films.

Dscaler on an HCPC sounds like a good idea in comparison to fixed function Scalers - reading the forums it seems to offer multiple FRC algorithms & also has a 'Judder Eliminator' function. However Sky have confirmed they will be outputting via an HDCP encoded DVI/HDMI port & from what I gather there is not a capture card available that has a DVI or HDMI input port that supports HDCP. Apparently the HPCD licencees would not want to grant a licence for a PC component type device because of the piracy implications.

So my question is does anyone know if what I'm looking for is achievable in the HCPC domain - can I take an HPCD-encoded signal from a DVI/HDMI port into an HCPC running DScaler for FRC'ing out to the Plasma & if so what product(s) should I consider?

Thanks

2. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think your first comment pretty much answers your question. HDCP is designed to ensure a secure digital path from box to display, so the answer is no.

3. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got another view on this - to put it more simply I would like to hear from anyone who has used Dcsaler to FRC 50Hz material to 60Hz for display. Was the Judder visibile (especially for Footie for example) or can one of Dscaler's multiple FRC modes eliminate it completely?

If so this would represent a complete Sky HD Solution for Panny Plasma HD owners (the DVI port is HDCP compliant but only accepts 60Hz).

Thanks