Using an external amp

philipb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I want to play DVDs on my PC, routing the audio through an external amp. How do I take the DD 5.1/DTS sound from the DVD to the optical or coaxial input on the amp? All the soudcards I've looked at are not set up to do this. The motherboard has on-board 6 channel audio, and has a 5 pin SPDIF connector which according to the manual is for connecting to external devices.

Or am I condemned to not using the amp, and instead hooking up the on-board audio or a soundcard to a set of active speakers?

I still really would like to know what motherboard it is so I can see if I can find a way of doing it;)

Let us know 'cos there should be a way of of using a coax digital connection.

Rich

It's an EPOX 8K3A/+ DDR333 board with an ALC650 AC97 on board audio chip.

I've had a look on the net at this motherboard, but couldn't get a good look at the sound card connections.

If it's at all similar to my Sound Blaster Live 5.1, then all you will need is a 3.5mm to RCA connector which you can then plug into the coaxial connector on your amp. (This is how my system is set up).

I have had a look now and you have two options as I see it:

1. If your amp (like many) has a 6 channel input, you can connect the 6 channels to the amp using a cable from each of the 3 outs (Speaker, Line In and Mic) and set up the drivers as described in you manual. This will give you the simplist solution.

2. You can buy one of these . That's if you can find one of course. I can't find any supplier in the UK that sells them although you might have some better luck. There are some other versions of these S/PDIF Modules but the one above seems most popular. It has a cable that connects to the headers you have on your motherboard. This is what you where after I believe.

Let us know if you ned any help on this and good luck.:D

Rich

Thanks lads. I may go for the Soundblaster option. I read somewhere that on-board audio is usually much inferior to "proper" soundcards.

That usually is the case. I have the Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 with the LiveDrive and I can't fault it. A great piece of kit.

Rich

The onboard sound on mb's used to be a very poor relation but now are up with the sound cards. A big advantage with onboard sound is saving money and PCI slot, so if you are on a tight cash flow it can be a viable alternative.:cool:

Originally posted by kiwiranger

If it's at all similar to my Sound Blaster Live 5.1, then all you will need is a 3.5mm to RCA connector which you can then plug into the coaxial connector on your amp. (This is how my system is set up). [/B]

Does anyone know if you can use an optical cable to do this?

I have the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card and want to connect it to my amplifier but the digital coaxial input on the amp is already used by my dvd player. I have 3 optical inputs which are unused so was wondering if this could be done.

Keene.co.uk sell an optical cable which they describe as "Square (Toslink) connector to 3.5mm (Minidisc) plug" - would this work ok?

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom