• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using an AVR (initially) for video only

rio1981

Maybe a strange question, maybe not but here goes...

I think I've settled on the AVR for my new setup, which will be the Yamaha RX-V673 and I'll pair up with the Q Acoustics Q7000.

Only problem is that I don't think I can afford the speakers quite yet - so is it possible (or even advisable?) to buy the AVR, route the Sky HD box, XBox, Blu Ray, PS3, etc and then attach the speakers later on down the track?

The reason for considering this approach is due to cabling reasons for the new install, which is taking place at the moment.

Cheers in advance :smashin:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is feasible to connect HDMI sources to the amp and have the amp passthrough both audio and video to an HDMI equipped TV. The HDMI destination must obviously have audio capabilities and built in speakers. Non HDMI sources would not be able to take advantage of HDMI audio passthrough. You'd have to use the SKY box's HDMI audio until you get the speaker package.

rio1981

That's perfect Dante, thanks for clearing that up. What I was looking to avoid was a scenario where the AVR starts to search for a proper speaker system if trying to calibrate itself, so it looks like it'll be just fine.

Thanks again :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
That's perfect Dante, thanks for clearing that up. What I was looking to avoid was a scenario where the AVR starts to search for a proper speaker system if trying to calibrate itself, so it looks like it'll be just fine.

Thanks again :)

The auto calibration is something you invoke and not something that has to be carried out prior to being able to use the amp. Even with speakers attached you still get output to those speakers prior to running the calibration.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom