Using an AV32R as a DAC

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by eisenach, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. eisenach

eisenach
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm tempted to try different amplifiers from the monoblocks I have at the moment, and have got my eye on various integrateds. I'd still need a DAC, though, as my DVD32R is just a transport.
    How would I best use the the AV32R just as a DAC?
    Would using the "tape out" outputs into the integrated do it, or would it be better to use the pre-amp outputs, justing making sure the volume is fixed at a suitable level? The latter sounds dangerous to me!
    Any advice welcome!

2. mabu

mabu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you have a later version of the AV32R you can use the tape out for fixed level stereo output. If I remember right the AV-32Rbp-192 had this feature.
    Anyway you could always use the pre-outs front left and right, using the AV32 in direct mode. Then you could set up an initial volume in the setup which is applied every startup. Then for safety you could set a maximum volume close to that level or equal to that level, so you would not damage the poweramps and speakers if using the volume by accident.
    Using pre-outs has the advantage that you could use the bass management in DIRECT+SUB if you have a seperated subwoofer.

3. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    what integrateds have you got your eye on out of interest? also, which monoblocks do you have? some years ago I did a comparison in a dealer's listening room where I chained a number of pre-amps together so I could see how transparent they were - my theory was if I could hear a difference (after matching levels with sound meter) when my wife switched the extra pre-amp in or out then the one just added was not transparent... amusingly the most transparent pre-amps on that basis were the AV32R and a bryston... the "worst" was the mark levinson, which was an order of magnitude more expensive and sounded "nice" but clearly altered the sound considerably. unless somebody's come up with a more transparent amp since (on one with better room correction) I'd consider sticking with the AV32R and just changing the monos if you don't like 'em (I use Bryston - love 'em).

4. eisenach

eisenach
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A belated thanks for the replies.
    I mostly use the system for stereo music. I was using Musical Fidelity 550K Superchargers as line input monoblocks (I did use them briefly as "superchargers" after a Tag 100x5R - fun!, but eventually got rid of the Tag). I've gone valves and have found a PrimaLuna DiaLogue 2 at a good price. I'm using the tape out into the PL, and for surround sound (SACD / film) the AV32R still does the rear channels, though I have to judge the correct volume setting for the rear channels independently on the TAG. On the whole it works well, and for stereo music, I prefer the sound.