1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an Archos AV420 with NTL

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by russellscott, Aug 15, 2004.

1. russellscott

russellscott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I've been trying to get my Archos AV420 to change channels on my NTL cable box without much luck. By fiddling around with the remote code settings I can get it to attempt to change channels but the NTL box is not accepting the full channel number. I see a couple of digits flash up but then it reverts to whatever channel it was on.

Has anyone else got it work (I guess the 300 series uses the same mechanism ?

cheers
    Russ.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Which ntl box do you have? not knowing much about the Archos, does it use IR control?

3. russellscott

russellscott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

the NTL box is made by Pace. The archos does use IR control via a lead with a transmitter which you stick over the window on the cable box.

Sometimes it does work, for example if I press channel up down on the Archos remote control. But if I set the Archos to record ITV (and it currently is on BBC1) then it doesn't work.

cheers
    Russ.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. russellscott

russellscott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is a Pace 4001 STB so I guess a redeye won't work ?

cheers
    Russ.

6. russellscott

russellscott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spoken to Archos who say they haven't tested the AV400 series with an NTL cable box. The guy at support said he was going to escalate to HO for them to test it and hopefully issue new IR codes in the next ROM release.

He also started telling me about the AV500 which should be available in the next 2-3 months..drool...!

cheers
    Russ

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    I use a Tivo with the TeleWest version of the PACE cable 4000 series STB.
    It's worth power cycling the PACE every now and again to improve responsiveness. Mine's on a mains timer plug and restarts every day in the early morning.

There are lots of problems with these boxes and Tivo channel control. Tivo made a new IR code release to cope with the latest NTL software.
    Details if you search over at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14