1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated as a power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Tracey, Dec 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to have an Arcam AVR100 AV receiver and an Arcam Alpha 9 intergrated amp connected up so that you use the Alpha 9 as a power amp only, to enable you to bi- amp the front left and right channels?

2. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep,
    hit the 'processor' button on the front panel (next to the 'direct' button) and it'll bypass all the volume/tone control circuitry leaving you with a vanilla power amp which will use the 'processor' pair of inputs round the back.
    Easy huh?

Mac.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I thought that was the case, just couldn't remember because it used to be my amp but I sold it to a friend and he is thinking of getting an AV receiver.

4. Pete R

Pete R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Revisiting this very old thread...

I have a Yamaha RVX667. I'm running it without a centre speaker. I've bought a s/h Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp intending to use it as a power amp for the Yamaha; to drive the front and right speakers.

I'd worked on the basis I'd be opening the Arcam up to flick a switch which would disable the preamp; effectively turning it into an Alpha 9 power amp.

However, this thread suggests there's another way of doing it; hitting the processor button on the front of the amp. On top of that I've spotted a switch on the back of the Alpha 9 labelled AV Processor/Normal.

So, I'm a bit puzzled. Can anyone help me out? I'm wondering whether there is an opportunity here to use it as a power amp as described above ~ but by flicking a switch also to use it as an integrated amp just to play CDs, bypassing the Yamaha for that purpose. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks very much.

5. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    i used mine as a power amp for a while, i used both switches set to processor and it worked just fine

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Yeah that works fine, I do exactly that with my A22 and did the same with my 9c previously. Connect the pre outs on your Yamaha to the inputs marked processor in on the Arcam. Plug your cd player into the Arcam and av gear into the Yamaha. Use the Arcam + cd player as normal then when you want to use the Yamaha and av gear simply press the processor switch in on the front of the Arcam then control everything including volume with the Yamaha.

Edit: Obviously connect the front left/right speakers to the Arcam!

7. Pete R

Pete R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much. The Arcam is now a power amp for the front speakers ~ and then also an integrated amp for playing CDs through.

This was (very nearly) a brilliant move. We'd been far from happy with the Yamaha when watching TV and listening to CDs. I have a set-up now which I'm really happy with...save that it's introduced a really nasty ground loop buzz which I'm struggling to get rid off.