Using an amp switch for AV and Stereo instead of an AV amp with pre-outs

vexille

Standard Member
Reaction score
I know that the recommended way of using the same speakers for stereo music and surround AV is to follow the recommendation of this What Hifi article.

Until recently I had a Sony 1080 AV amp driving my Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 setup, but sadly the amp died a death. I'm now looking for a new AV amp. I also have an old NAD C320BEE that I like and had been considering buying an AV amp with pre-outs to follow the What Hifi advice.

However, given the NAD doesn't have a dedicated AV input and the AV amps with preouts are significantly more expensive I'm very tempted to try using an amp switch instead, with the front two speakers connected to both amps. I've seen these two mentioned positively:

Solupeak P2
Beresford TC-7220

It's a much more economical option because it means I could buy an AV amp without pre-outs (the Denon AVR-X2700H for example) and continue to use my NAD with the Q Acoustics 3050is.

I realise it may not be the best audiophile solution, but I'd be very grateful to hear any thoughts on whether this is a good way forward to get the best of both stereo and AV amps on a budget. Does it come with any significant quality compromise? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thank you

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well it's a well established solution. Not the most elegant but it works well providing you remember to switch over as required.

I have noted there are some smart switches available now so you can use an app to control the switch

No sorry, I don't use them. The last time I used a switch was the Beresford one you mentioned

I'm in the exact same boat mate, goin to go for the Solupeak I think. Binding posts look decent and the simplicity of the device also appeals. Didn't realise how bad my Sony avr 1050/good my Cambridge audio topaz am10 sounded until recently. Going to do more listening before I buy the speaker switch just incase I'm confirmation biasing myself!!

I'm in the exact same boat mate, goin to go for the Solupeak I think. Binding posts look decent and the simplicity of the device also appeals. Didn't realise how bad my Sony avr 1050/good my Cambridge audio topaz am10 sounded until recently. Going to do more listening before I buy the speaker switch just incase I'm confirmation biasing myself!!
It just seems like the much more economical option than getting an av amp with pre outs and you wouldn't have to worry about any difference in sonic character. Keep me posted on how you get on!

The main thing with this approach is that you cant use your Nad amp as a power amp when using the AVR. For AVRs with preouts, the yamaha RXV 6A is the cheapest I know of with front L and R preouts , which is about £100 more expensive than the Denon, but by the time you add in a switch it'll be about the same price. Note that the yamaha hdmi 2.1 is limited if that is important to you (i.e. you have a next gen console).

I currently use a switch as my AVR doesnt have preouts. I built my own, first version was a manual switch, using a 4pdt silver plated switch, then my current version is automatic using relays which are triggered by the usb output on my stereo amp, so that when I power on my amp the speakers are connected. I do not note any degradation in sound doing this.

Does your NAD amp have removable links linking the pre and amp in connectors?

Back in the day I had a NAD stereo amp and used a 2 in to 1 out RCA switch as an external HT bypass.
2207683-f9a3bf79-nad-c320bee-amplifier.jpg

Connect the pre outs on both the bad and AV amp to a 2 input RCA switch and then the switch output to the Nads power in.

It just seems like the much more economical option than getting an av amp with pre outs and you wouldn't have to worry about any difference in sonic character. Keep me posted on how you get on!
Will do mate. Only problem I may find is that the solupeak option might not be suitable for bi-wire, but tbh, it's not something I'm currently doing so should I really be concerned!! I was surprised at the few options available and the price also, thought there would be many people in the same situation. Clearly not. Suppose that's why we're talking here on av forums and they're not!! The cheap ones look nasty but the solupeak looks well made I think. If anyone knows more on this subject feel free to jump in 👍

Ended up buying the douk audio v2 from ebay. It's always been £150 on amazon so ruled it out then seen it from doukstore on ebay for 120. Had the item watched then got an offer from the seller for 110 so pushed the button. Works a treat for what we require, doesn't need power to operate unless you want to switch the amp or speakers. 2 amp inputs and 2 sets of speaker inputs so you pick either amp a or b with speaker a or b. Had it a few weeks, no issues. More expensive than what I was looking at but happy with the purchase. Hope this helps mate.
20220822_194837.jpg
20220822_194819.jpg
20220822_194837.jpg

Backlit VU meters. I'm sold!

Backlit VU meters. I'm sold!
Agreed!! Double the price of the solupeak option but those little orange bulbs are worth it. It's got a remote too, but it's really all about that glow!!

Ended up buying the douk audio v2 from ebay. It's always been £150 on amazon so ruled it out then seen it from doukstore on ebay for 120. Had the item watched then got an offer from the seller for 110 so pushed the button. Works a treat for what we require, doesn't need power to operate unless you want to switch the amp or speakers. 2 amp inputs and 2 sets of speaker inputs so you pick either amp a or b with speaker a or b. Had it a few weeks, no issues. More expensive than what I was looking at but happy with the purchase. Hope this helps mate. View attachment 1741868View attachment 1741870View attachment 1741868
Hi, I'm very new to dual set ups like you describe. Could you describe the cable connections to each devices? Thanks in advance K

Ended up buying the douk audio v2 from ebay. It's always been £150 on amazon so ruled it out then seen it from doukstore on ebay for 120. Had the item watched then got an offer from the seller for 110 so pushed the button. Works a treat for what we require, doesn't need power to operate unless you want to switch the amp or speakers. 2 amp inputs and 2 sets of speaker inputs so you pick either amp a or b with speaker a or b. Had it a few weeks, no issues. More expensive than what I was looking at but happy with the purchase. Hope this helps mate. View attachment 1741868View attachment 1741870View attachment 1741868

Has ASR measured it? 🤣

Hi, I'm very new to dual set ups like you describe. Could you describe the cable connections to each devices? Thanks in advance K

Only speaker cable required mate and a USB type c for power. This switcher sits in between amp and speakers then you can switch between 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. I bought it for the amp switching side as my avr is good for movies but not as clever when playing 2 channel stereo. Had some fun switching between speakers aswell though. No complaints from me 👍

Only speaker cable required mate and a USB type c for power. This switcher sits in between amp and speakers then you can switch between 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. I bought it for the amp switching side as my avr is good for movies but not as clever when playing 2 channel stereo. Had some fun switching between speakers aswell though. No complaints from me 👍
Hi. Are you able to bi-wire this to speakers rather than use it for two sets of speakers? Thanks.

I have the Douk VU3 switching between my NAD M10 V2 for music and the Marantz SR8015 for home theater.. I have the B&W 702 S3 right and left speakers connected to the Douk and all other speakers connected to the Marantz. So far it is working great. I have a 7.1.4 setup and love having the best of both worlds.

Quick question about the Douk power supply please.

Do you just plug it in to a USB charging port on a normal wall plug?

TY

PS. If anyone else is thinking of going down the switching route, AliExpress will be selling it for £82 delivered in their January sale (starts 8 Jan).

I use Kramer, can pick them up on the bay cheap, broadcast quality switches,

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom