Using amp USB to trigger cooling fans

whichswitch

Novice Member
Hi there,

First post on AVF, so be gentle with me! I'm in the process of upgrading my home cinema setup. I'm going for the Sony 65" AF8 OLED, Sony DN1080 Receiver and Sony X800 BluRay player. (Current setup is Sony 55" W9 TV, Sony DN1040 Receiver and Sony S5200 BluRay player).

I've also bought myself a lovely new TV stand, which has a glass door to the front and is enclosed on the back apart from a couple of large cable run holes.

The equipment has not arrived yet, but I am concerned with the possible heat issues in the cabinet for the equipment (specifically the amp itself). I was therefore looking at investing in something like the Aircom T8 cooling system, but these are quite expensive and not readily availably in the UK unfortunately. I'm therefore looking at a much cheaper option of using quiet computer fans in the cabinet.

My question is, I would like the fans to power on when the amp is switched on. Obviously I don't want to power the fans directly off the amp's USB port, but am looking for some sort of box that uses the USB power from the amp to switch a relay, which then takes separate mains power and converts it to additional USB ports for the fans to plug into.

I've been searching for a couple of hours online and can't really find anything that meets my requirements, so thought I would ask you good and experienced people for your advice! I've attached a little diagram of what I'm looking for below.

Many thanks!!
James

Relay Box.jpg

Mr Andy

Doesn't your amp have a 12v trigger? My own thought would be make a basic circuit to act as a heat sensor.
I think the circuit has a thermistor and a variable resistor with a relay triggered at a given temp

Last edited:

whichswitch

Novice Member
Thanks Mr Andy. As far as I'm aware there is no 12v trigger on the DN1080. Will investigate making my own thermostatic switch circuit and see what I come up with. Thanks mate!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I doubt heat will ever be much of an issue with these amps. They really don't get that hot with movies and even continuous high level music is generally not an issue - unless you have a very large room and difficult to drive low impedance speakers.

USB is just a 5v power supply on 2 of the pins, so if the amplifier switches this when the power is switched on, a 5v relay and diode to protect against back emf and whatever fan and power supply you choose is all you need. Tbh, the little usb desk fans will probably provide enough air movement and are also quite quiet. Failing that, a 12v fan will run from less than 200ma - far less than the maximum current the USB can provide and the lower voltage will reduce fan speed and noise.

whichswitch

Novice Member
I doubt heat will ever be much of an issue with these amps. They really don't get that hot with movies and even continuous high level music is generally not an issue - unless you have a very large room and difficult to drive low impedance speakers.

USB is just a 5v power supply on 2 of the pins, so if the amplifier switches this when the power is switched on, a 5v relay and diode to protect against back emf and whatever fan and power supply you choose is all you need. Tbh, the little usb desk fans will probably provide enough air movement and are also quite quiet. Failing that, a 12v fan will run from less than 200ma - far less than the maximum current the USB can provide and the lower voltage will reduce fan speed and noise.

Thanks everso much. Perhaps I should wait until I have all the gear installed and running and see what the temperature in the cabinet is like rather than worrying about it before hand. Just wanted to make sure I looked after the kit as best as possible!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
This is the base of what I used when making a control for my PJ screen.

Dual Hi-Lo Switched Relay Board | Quasar Electronics AS3156KT

The 12V trigger on most amps isn't enough to drive a relay on its own so needs some help.

This a dual one but basically if you use the USB as 5V high then it would switch one (or could be wired to do both) relays.

It requires a power supply but I use a 12V one which you could also use for the fans too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom