1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using American iPods with the UK iPod Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kipper15, Jul 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping somebody can put my mind at rest.

My wife and I are travelling to the States in a couple of months for a holiday. We are planning to a couple of additional iPods for ourselves and also as Christmas gifts for relatives.

A couple of questions:

1. We already own a couple of UK iPods - my wife has the Mini, I own the U2 iPod. Can we plug the American models into our existing UK iPod's Power Supplies with no problem? (ie connect by using the firewire cable that comes out of the plug and plugs into the iPod dock).

2. For the iPods we bring back for relatives, rather than having to purhcase 3-pin to 2-pin plug adapters, could we use one of the 3rd party UK power adapters such as this one?

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/alliPods_Batteries and Power/LO05.htm

I'm just a little nervous about plugging US iPods into UK power supplies. Not being at all knowledgeable about electrical things, I want to check this will be OK. Call me paranoid, but the last thing I want to do is come back from the States with shiny new iPods which end up getting fried because I do something I shouldn't!

I would rather avoid using adapter plugs if possible, as IMO this is isn't a particularly elegant solution.

Thanks for your help.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    All iPod and laptop power supplies from Apple are universal - it's only the plug attachment that needs to change for each country's different main connection.
    The iPod will always receive the correct voltage to recharge the battery. So, no worries, apart from if you can sneak them past customs to save on import duties and VAT. ;)

3. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Know what you mean about the men in customs!!

I don't suppose you know if you can buy genuine Apple iPod plugs anywhere? I've looked at the Apple UK store's website and they don't seem to sell them as spares.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you don't mind the visual mismatch, when you pull off the plug on any iPod PSU the connector is a standard IEC 'figure of 8' socket. You can use any cord whihc has the plug.

5. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking again at the Apple UK store's site...I must have been careless when I searched earlier as I found this:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...Z3Bal/8.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.19.0.1.1.1.1.0.1.0.1

Presumably that's all I would need to allow my US-purchased iPods to connect to UK plug sockets (as opposed to using US-UK plug adapters).

The image obviously isn't of a UK model though (the US site has the same pic on it).