Using Airplay 2 to beam camera roll photos and videos to tv

pschweig

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am considering buying a new TV (LG OLED48CX) and AV receiver (Denon AVR-X2700H) that both list airplay 2 support as included. After some searching I can't find any articles or videos that really detail using airplay 2 to display photos and videos that are in the camera roll on my iphone on the tv. I have an iphone 8 with iOS 13.7.
Does anyone here have experience of that? I have some questions:
  1. If I were to go into the photos app and select airplay on a photo to a tv would it switch itself on if currently off?
  2. Would it automatically start the relevant app on the tv so the picture displays straight away?
  3. If I then scroll to the next photo does that display on the screen automatically or do I need to choose airplay on the next photo too?
  4. Does it switch seamlessly between photos and videos?
  5. Does it handle both portrait and landscape photos and videos properly?
  6. What happens if I airplay a photo to my AVR? Or would it not be offered as an airplay option for a photo?
For music stored on my iphone I assume my AVR would automatically switch to the correct input and play. Is that correct?

many thanks - any advice appreciated

hmmm i am not sure that would work.

I believe Airplay is for streaming music. I use it all around my house to stream to hifi systems.

Screen mirroring is for streaming photo and video content. On the LG TV I need to use an Apple TV to stream.

However my TV (olesd65e7v) is 2/3 years old so doesn't support Airplay2. Maybe the current ones that support airplay also support Screen Mirroring. I can use the LG app to project photos from my phone to the TV.

Can't imagine anything more horrific than walking into a room and suddenly all the crap on my iPhone automatically appears on a TV/Projector! My camera roll is so full of work related pics which make no sense unless you are reviewing a site survey.

What is it you want to achieve and is this Residential or Commercial?

Joe

Ambienz said:
I believe Airplay is for streaming music. I use it all around my house to stream to hifi systems.

Screen mirroring is for streaming photo and video content. On the LG TV I need to use an Apple TV to stream.

Yes I've now heard elsewhere too that screen mirroring does the job. Thanks

Although there is also an Airplay option for each photo in the iOS photos app if you go to the further actions menu and scroll down abit. Apparently you can display photos/videos onto the tv that way too.

Joe Fernand said:
Can't imagine anything more horrific than walking into a room and suddenly all the crap on my iPhone automatically appears on a TV/Projector! My camera roll is so full of work related pics which make no sense unless you are reviewing a site survey.

What is it you want to achieve and is this Residential or Commercial?

No that does sound pretty nightmareish :D I just want to be able to sit on the sofa with my wife and for both of us to be able to show the pictures/videos we have taken on the tv screen. We have iPhones and a Chromecast so we need a separate app to do this currently. I think we would use it more if it was available from the native iOS app.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom